Beesting as autoimmune trigger?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterrier

House Bee From SW Northumberland
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
OK so I am not medically qualified nor am I an immunologist but I have a condition (IBD)which very recently raised its head with a severe flare up of symptoms. The flare-up coincided with a beesting on my thumb which gave a swollen hand reaction and Piriton seemed to do its job.
Is it possible that the beesting caused the flareup?
I have not yet asked any medical experts I have been seen by but will do. Meanwhile, can any of you clever and informed people offer any advice or experience?
Thanks
K :(

Did the swollen hand cause you a bit of stress/worry?

Mechanism is possible to my mind but be wary of presuming that correlation means causation.

I don't remember stressing unduly about it but was watching carefully as the previous sting some six months earlier (also on the thumb) caused a red rash up my arm up as far as my elbow which went after a couple of days.
Thanks
K ;)

OK so I am not medically qualified nor am I an immunologist but I have a condition (IBD)which very recently raised its head with a severe flare up of symptoms. The flare-up coincided with a beesting on my thumb which gave a swollen hand reaction and Piriton seemed to do its job.
Is it possible that the beesting caused the flareup?
I have not yet asked any medical experts I have been seen by but will do. Meanwhile, can any of you clever and informed people offer any advice or experience?
Thanks
K :(
Sympathy, I hope the flare up settles soon. I was appointed consultant gastroenterologist in 1974 and kept bees throughout my 27 years in post but cannot answer your question - I can't remember any patient reporting a flare up of IBD after a sting.
Step forward an immunologist....

I suspect you could find the world's most emminent endocrinologist with an interest in insect venoms and the answer would still be "perhaps".
If you then asked if beestings could reduce IBS symptoms the answer would probably also be "perhaps".

I suspect you could find the world's most emminent endocrinologist with an interest in insect venoms and the answer would still be "perhaps".
If you then asked if beestings could reduce IBS symptoms the answer would probably also be "perhaps".
-Entomologist?
-IBD
:unsure::confused:;)

Latest posts

Back