Laying workers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave /Oscroft

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
9 at present
T H, says empty the lot out in front of a large colony, remove the original hive, floor etc, done that but all come back and form a small swarm nearby. so now what, do I just abandon them to there own fate or do something else ?

Dave W

Three feet three mile rule in operation here. The returning bees need to be close to a joining hive - and preferably the joining hive needs shifting closer to where the laying worker hive was positioned. Simple and, as usual, and the normal homing instincts of the bees has been ignored.

Collect the bees and then try again (but not late in the evening).

really should be done some way from SEVERAL strong colonies ie an apiary.

laying workers CAN fly and ARE orientated.

so you are relying on the workers being accepted into new hives and the layers rejected.

tip on here was to smoke well (with some frames of stores bruised) before the shake out so they gorge on nectar beforehand. that way they will be better accepted by the recipient colonies.

laying workers

Oliver, Bees collected, tonight I can move a hive nearer but the entrance would be in the opposite direction than the laying worker hive ! would that matter ? or will they find it anyway?

Dave W

laying workers

really should be done some way from SEVERAL strong colonies ie an apiary.

laying workers CAN fly and ARE orientated.

so you are relying on the workers being accepted into new hives and the layers rejected.

tip on here was to smoke well (with some frames of stores bruised) before the shake out so they gorge on nectar beforehand. that way they will be better accepted by the recipient colonies.

ok I could do it this way also, I can empty the lot approx. 50 ft away I have five colonies in a circle !

Dave W

if they are custered are yu sure they are laying workers not a drone laying queen?

"I can empty the lot approx. 50 ft away I have five colonies in a circle !"

much better option IMHO. But as per MM you are sure you have laying workers?

Bees will cluster at the hive position, with or without a queen. It is simply the nztural homing instinct.

An array of five hives in a semi-cicle would be good if the laying worker hive was at the centre.

Entrance direction would be an impediment - likely need much more time for them to find the entrance, just like suddenly turning any hive by a full 180 degrees. A warm sunny day for it would be a considerable help to them, but options seem to be limited if there is not time to slowly turn one or both to get the hives facing the same way and in the correct place.

There seem to be some red herrings around this thread.

Last edited:
laying workers

I think what i'm going to do is take them 50 ft away or so empty them out put another brood box in the original position and see what returns, and then have a think, possibly unit them onto the colony adjacent. Or do nothing, as I don't want to endanger that colony at this time of the year, it may be best to abandon the troublesome hive. Perhaps that's the best option, or even do nothing and leave them as they are now.

Dave

laying workers can return so do not give a "home" to return to then unite as they may kill recipient queen.

shake out in front of STRONG colonies and let the bees sort themselves out - individual laying workers will get rejected.

dave,
don't put anything on the original site when you remove them.

Just wait for a nice afternoon and shake them all out on the grass (imo 10ft away is enough). All the useful flying bees will find a new home via the guard bees in the other hives, the remainder will perish, don't even think of uniting!

Latest posts

Back