Laying workers - early stages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quick question, hope somebody can guide me please......this is my 4th season and for the first time I think I have a laying worker situation.

The hive in question has steadfastly refused to be requeened or successfully United since late July. I put in a test frame 10 days ago and when I checked on Wednesday, they have indeed drawn a group of emergency queen cells.

My plan was to test for queenlessness and then try and unite with another queenright colony to bolster them. .....However as well as the queen cells I also noticed on Wednesday that on one frame a few frames up from the test frame, there is a fist sized area of cells with multiple eggs in each, including a play cup. It looks to me like the early stages of laying workers.

My question is, would a unite be risky for my queen in the queenright colony and should I just shake them out now....the colony is still quite populous but clearly getting on a bit!

Latest posts

Back