Laying worker issue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJUK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I hope you can offer some advice please.

I've got two hives, one which is doing very well building up from the winter. Another not so good.

The later hive has a queen present, some sealed working brood but also noticed were multiple eggs in cells, some eggs over collected pollen. There are about 50 or so cells with this issue. Other areas show single eggs and larvae developing as you would expect.

What might be happening here, a queen doing her thing... and Also a laying worker?

There are no queen cells at all present, none that I have missed either.

Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,

How much room does the Q. have in which to lay? Is the brood box honey bound?

Where were the multiple eggs?

Were they the same age?

I had a queen this year who seemed incontinent of eggs. Multiple eggs but of the same age and at the bottom of the cells. Other cells normally laid. The multiple eggs weren’t peripheral.

She’s now laying Normally.

No idea why, other than a late spring and the urge to lay when the workers weren’t up to speed with polishing. Perhaps there weren’t enough young bees..

I even saw her walking about with an egg naming out of her ovipositor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Where were the multiple eggs?

Not everywhere, the were 'together though' not in random places here and there. All in one section on one frame only of 3.

Were they the same age?
Similar yes, just eggs not developed. They seemed to be being ignored by the workers?

I had a queen this year who seemed incontinent of eggs. Multiple eggs but of the same age and at the bottom of the cells. Other cells normally laid. The multiple eggs weren’t peripheral.

She’s now laying Normally.

No idea why, other than a late spring and the urge to lay when the workers weren’t up to speed with polishing. Perhaps there weren’t enough young bees..

I even saw her walking about with an egg naming out of her ovipositor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hmmm , thanks I'll give it some time then.

Jon

Back