Latest C**k up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Last september I looked at one of my colonies and it was desperate for space. Nie frames of brood and no room for stores. It was on single brood. The only drawn super I had contained 6 frames of drawn drone comb so I placed three at either end. And then came the C**k up. I forgot about the drone comb. I've alread put one super on the colony this year. Did my first inspection last weekend and found that 3 of the combs where full of stores and the other three where full to the gunnels with drone brood.
After some mild expletives. I swapped the stores with some from the top super which they where already drawing (and was normal brood foundation) and placed three new super frames of foundation in to replace the drone brood.
I think using drone foundation in supers was a good idea at the time, you can get more honey in them, but it does lead to confusion. Going to stick to normal foundations in supers from now on.
On the up side uncapped all three super frames and examined the brood. Didn't find a single varroa mite. The oxalic worked well in the winter. Oh and the chickens enjoyed the brood as well.

SteveJ

Damn steve - sounds like one of those days! Hope it goes better in future.

Drone foundation in the super is great until she gets up there... then the down side is rapidly discovered.

PH

Drone comb might contain a smidgen more honey, but its advantage is that it takes less wax to build and is easier to extract.

Still gonna stay away from drone foundation.

Latest posts

Back