Late winter mice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellypatt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've never had a problem with mice before and so did not fit mouse guards (urban apiary, lots of cats about). More fool me, as I recently put in inspection trays to get more of an idea how the bees were doing, and think that I have one in one of my hives. Is it too late to fit mouse guards now? Is there a risk of trapping the mouse in the hive?

I've posted this in the beginners' section because it makes me feel like a beginner!

Thanks,

Elly

Is it too late to fit mouse guards now? Is there a risk of trapping the mouse in the hive?
Although guards will soon be getting removed, we could still get some very cold nights, so still worth doing, especially as mice are already going into the hive.

Most likely only going in the hive at night time, when it is very cold, but you obviously need to make sure any mice are out when you fit the mouse guard during the daytime, best to give the hive a good whacking with a stick, during the warmest part of the day, remove the crown board, you could also jump up and down while shouting as loud as you can, to help scare the mice out of the hive.

And if possible it would be good if you could get someone to video you doing this so we can put the video on here for other new beekeepers to see.

Alternatively, you could just do a really quick inspection of the hive where you suspect the mouse ... just be sure to choose a really nice day for it. And if you find intruders, evict them.
Not as much general amusement as Hivemaker's suggestions, but possibly simpler.
And yes, do pay particular attention to not dropping or squashing Q ... :)
Mouse or mice would be a greater threat than the risks from a careful but quick inspection.
Meanwhile, no harm in getting mouseguards onto the other hives ASAP.
My suggestion for the possibly infested hive - if it is convenient for you - would be to put a guard on overnight and take it off during the (middle of the) day. That way, there might be some slim hope of any resident mouse leaving, even before your inspection.

Alternatively, you could just do a really quick inspection of the hive

Ha... you sound like you been taking lessons from Ratnieks and Co, lol..:icon_204-2:

You never seen them flushing Tigers out of the jungle.

Thanks for the replies. Will put guards on overnight as suggested, and strap them up while I'm at it as new signs badger activity by the hives, too. Will do this at the start of winter next year...

Very happy to post a video myself jumping up and down whacking the hive if you'll buy me a gopro to film it with :)

Badgers?

Badger activity around urban hives - you really are unlucky!

Upturn roof, transfer the brood box onto roof, clean floor and mouse will also leg it. Return brood box to clean floor. 2 jobs done.

Back