Late extraction/uncapped cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've been away with work for a few weeks so I'm only now getting round to taking off the supers and extracting. In one super, there are 5 or 6 fully capped frames and the remainder which are partly capped and about 10 - 20% uncapped. This late in the year, I just want to get them off and concentrate on making sure there's enough honey in the brood box for winter.

If I leave the frames in the super in a warm room at home for a few days, will the honey ripen enough to extract it?

I don't have a reflectometer and now time is of the essence so prob don't have time to buy one.

I'm not expecting a big crop and will be giving away most of the honey, so it will all be used up fairly quickly - if fermentation kicks in, how long does this take (maybe it will all be eaten before it becomes a problem...)

Thanks a lot

David

give the open frames a shake if honey drips out then its not ripe and may ferment, but the only way to make sure is with a refractometer. Warm room wont make much difference as it will depend on the moisture in the room.

Latest posts

Back