Last resort

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soapy water option. frames burnt and box, floor and crownboard super scorched.
Petrol somehow seemed fraught with danger.
The problem with soapy water is that the bees have to be drenched in it before they die which is not possible through a small hole in the crownboard. It's the fumes of the petrol that kills the bees in a matter of seconds which I think is preferable for the bees and me. I would hate the bees to have a more lingering death than necessary.

The problem with soapy water is that the bees have to be drenched in it before they die which is not possible through a small hole in the crownboard. It's the fumes of the petrol that kills the bees in a matter of seconds which I think is preferable for the bees and me. I would hate the bees to have a more lingering death than necessary.

It's usually done by putting a travel screen on the hive, allowing the water to be poured across the whole area

It's usually done by putting a travel screen on the hive, allowing the water to be poured across the whole area
Yes but you still have to drench them all and if they are clustered the water would be past them and out of the hive before they even get wet!

I did as @Erichalfbee suggested; water over the top of frames then shook and dunked each frame into a bath of same solution. It was disturbing and disturbingly quick.

I think this is the beekeepers worst nightmare .. I've never had to do it and I really hope I never have to do it.... whichever way, it's a tragedy for any beekeeper.

Did it once in my early days under mentors guidance. Used petrol, aired the boxes and reused them after a week. The initial roar was horrible but all was quiet within a few minutes. I felt it was tragic but more humane than soapy water

I have used a 15%fairy liquid mix in a 10 litre drum to great effect - enough left to clean up with after.
Obviously cool weather helps but it can be done with the chimney off.
5l bulk container of washing up liquid is around £6 at Farm Foods
No fumes and benzoyl contamination - strip and boil the frames for the next batch.

Back