Last resort

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not something I am keen to do but a weak colony with DLQ and also cbpv needs to be dealt with. I don’t want to shake them out in the apiary so am considering euthanising the colony. I have heard water with washing detergent should be poured onto the frames, but not how much and if it suits a OMF hive. Again, this is a last resort, so any advice gratefully received.

Yes soapy water works, enough detergent to foam
Not a nice job but if you need to do it then do it when the bees have stopped flying. OMF doesn't matter, just pour it copiously along every seam. When I did it I picked up every frame and shook the drenched bees into a bucket of the same detergent.
PS. Doesn't sound like a last resort to me. Sounds like you should just get on with it....sad, I know

I have heard water with washing detergent should be poured onto the frames, but not how much

Lots - if you have to do it, make it quick, so have enough to drench every bit of the hive, with some spare left over

and if it suits a OMF hive.

Yes

You might want to have clean water nearby to dilute and wash away the soapy water on the ground, in case other hives find it?

You can pour it through a travel screen, placed on the hive earlier in the day, if you have one, though not essential.

Close them up and a mug of petrol in the crown board. Much quicker than water spraying.

But then every frame is unusable, no? And the box .... ?

If you are going to torch the whole lot, fine, but is that the case here?
Intended on destroying the frames yes. As can’t know if virus stays with bees or in the frames.

Close them up and a mug of petrol in the crown board. Much quicker than water spraying.
Just pour mug of petrol into hive through crownboard hole? Would that not miss frames?

Petrol is by far the quickest and more humane way for wooden hives.
Not too good for poly equipment though. Washing up liquid for that.

Just pour mug of petrol into hive through crownboard hole? Would that not miss frames?
Best to place old towelling or a similar material over the frames, then spread the petrol over the towel close up and leave overnight. Then burn the frames, towel and the mound of dead bees left on the OMF. Always distressing time. Sorry for you.

Deed is done. Hope I never have to do that again. Thanks

Latest posts

Back