Last of the drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILL.HEARD

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
A few weeks ago I had several hives that were working well but with no obvious pollen being collected, I assumed that the queens was not laying but were also not absent, there were plenty of drones still present in these hives but none seen in other hives in the same apiary, these were external observations only.
This week with a good flow from the ivy all these hives have been taking in plenty of pollen and within two days all drones have now been chucked out.
This seemingly being triggered by the queens laying again.

I had one hive with plenty of drones a few weeks back when all the other hives seemed to have none. The hive with all the drones was superseding at the time and I think well thought out by the bees. Perhaps your bees were thinking hang on we just may need the drones that bit longer.

Could be a bit of both. I wouldn't like to have to make a call between the two posts.

RAB

On Sunday, my local group had a safari round each other's hives, to compare stores, number of bees, progress, etc ...
Gorgeous day. All hives flying very strongly.

Anyway, of 16 hives opened, spread over about 10 miles, just one had drones at home. That hive had slabs of brood, sealed and unsealed and Q was seen, (and no QCs), but had recently been described as near broodless after MAQS.
All mine got chucked out long ago.

Odd, the one hive with drones. Bees, eh? :rolleyes: They refuse to read the books!

On Sunday, my local group had a safari round each other's hives, to compare stores, number of bees, progress, etc ...
Gorgeous day. All hives flying very strongly.

Anyway, of 16 hives opened, spread over about 10 miles, just one had drones at home. That hive had slabs of brood, sealed and unsealed and Q was seen, (and no QCs), but had recently been described as near broodless after MAQS.
All mine got chucked out long ago.

Odd, the one hive with drones. Bees, eh? :rolleyes: They refuse to read the books!

That could be because MAQS puts the queen off laying, so the bees thought they would keep the drones in case she was a dud.

That's what we thought, but, the drones have been kept, seemingly well after any question of need. Which is the strange bit!

That's what we thought, but, the drones have been kept, seemingly well after any question of need. Which is the strange bit!

They are still not certain, they know the quality / ability / condition of their queen better than we do.

Latest posts

Back