Larvae not emerging

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perrybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I performed an A/S procedure on June 2nd. In the old hive I have not seen the new Queen, but a week ago saw egg's for the first time. I have checked today and there is no larvae but more egg's and in some cells 2. There are still plenty of bees in the hive so I am not sure why larvae are not emerging. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Simon.

Hi perrybee,
Exactly the same happened in my hive last year! I decided she was a dud and united - only gave her a week though. Any other offers?

I performed an A/S procedure on June 2nd. In the old hive I have not seen the new Queen, but a week ago saw egg's for the first time. I have checked today and there is no larvae but more egg's and in some cells 2. There are still plenty of bees in the hive so I am not sure why larvae are not emerging. Any suggestions?

Check this calculator http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/ The date you need to put in will probably be 29th May.

You might be worrying a bit too early.

I *believe* sometimes if the bees aren't happy with something - forage, ability to cover comb and keep brood warm overnight, pollen (any factor they fancy I guess) - then they will eat/clean out the eggs the queen lays to minimize wasted effort. This might only last a few days while everything settles down.

course, I could be wrong - and I only have 3 hives. Someone wise will be along in a minute...

Latest posts

Back