Langstroth space in the box - confused newbie setup question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApiarIAN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm now setting everything up in anticipation of collecting my over-wintered nucs shortly and I've searched high and low and unable to find an answer to this question.

Internal width of a Langstroth is 370mm - Hoffman frame width is 35mm - ergo 10 frames occupies 350mm of space leaving 20mm of "gap" - what should I do with this please?

All at one end?
Shared equally at each end?
Filled with a dummy board?
Something else??

Many thanks

I'm now setting everything up in anticipation of collecting my over-wintered nucs shortly and I've searched high and low and unable to find an answer to this question.

Internal width of a Langstroth is 370mm - Hoffman frame width is 35mm - ergo 10 frames occupies 350mm of space leaving 20mm of "gap" - what should I do with this please?

All at one end?
Something else??

Many thanks
Put in a dummy board ... by removing that when you start your inspection it gives you a bit of free space to extract the first and subsequent frames. The ability to slide a frame away from the next one saves yuo rolling bees as you draw the frame out for inspection. They don't usually molest dummy boards with attached comb and even if they do it's easily cut away as they won't put brood in it.

Put in a dummy board ... by removing that when you start your inspection it gives you a bit of free space to extract the first and subsequent frames. The ability to slide a frame away from the next one saves yuo rolling bees as you draw the frame out for inspection. They don't usually molest dummy boards with attached comb and even if they do it's easily cut away as they won't put brood in it.
Thanks a lot, just the job - I'll get cracking with the saw and knock some out - cheers

All at one end?
Something else??

Many thanks
Separate them at least 38mm at the ends, it is true that the original measurement was 35mm but the greater relevance/use of dadant with 1+1/2" has ended up imposing the measurement.
By the way, the internal measurements should be 380*470mm.
Do you use a separator and a strip with slots or a continuous strip?

By the way, the internal measurements should be 380*470mm.
Do you use a separator and a strip with slots or a continuous strip?
I use a continuous runner.

Not seen 380x470mm quoted anywhere as a Langstroth dimension - mine are 464x370 which seems to be the correct UK Langstroth dimensions

I use a continuous runner.

Not seen 380x470mm quoted anywhere as a Langstroth dimension - mine are 464x370 which seems to be the correct UK Langstroth dimensions
If you use a continuous corridor, use 37mm, with the Hoffman spacers it can give you problems if the bees are propellants.

All at one end?
Something else??

Many thanks
My book here says a 10 frame Lang is 362mm internal width, so about 8 mm smaller than yours. (Internal 10 frame 463 X 362).

Latest posts

Back