Labelling as 'wildflower' - permitted?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
Am in the process of designing some labels for this year's honey. I have a reasonable amount and my local shop is interested, which is great.

I've looked at all the guidance for labelling from food standards etc, so I'm happy with what I need to include. But can I call my honey 'wildflower'? I'm in the middle of the countryside and the bees spend probably 80/90% of their time on wildflowers (I have very few cultivated flowers in my garden, as it's pretty wild anyway!). I know the guidelines for single flower, e.g. Borage are 75%, but not sure if same applies here.

So, am I safe to call it wildflower honey?

Thanks in advance.

So, am I safe to call it wildflower honey?

You're probably wading in dangerous waters here if you have any sort of agriculture near you (OSR is hardly a "wildflower" despite the fact that it appears on most roadside verges/roundabouts etc.).

You're probably wading in dangerous waters here if you have any sort of agriculture near you (OSR is hardly a "wildflower" despite the fact that it appears on most roadside verges/roundabouts etc.).

Hmm, yes. Think I'm probably safer sticking to 'Devon flower honey'. Rather meaningless, I know, but I'll mull it over. Thanks.

I would make a call to your Trading Standards people and ask them.

PH

If the name of your house or business is called wildflowers then it's not a problem

Latest posts

Back