Konigin Machines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 12 frame Konigin.
To get over the problem with the small lip you mention I prop the back leg on a 6" block and find that 95% of the trapped honey drips out of the gate within about an hour.

Thornes dont list the 8 frame on their site, but they'll get it if you ask. I went for the 12frame to fit frames up to commercial deep.

Did you have to go for the tangential extractor or you bought the tangential screen to fit the deep and commercial frames?

I have had a chat with a supplier but the radial ones only take shallow frames and I need to buy another screen to fit the deep frames.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Tilting the machine is a good start. As you say it'll solve 95% of the problem. I did buy from Old Castle Farm, so will be interested to know what Ian says.

Thanks for replies. Tilting the machine is a good start. As you say it'll solve 95% of the problem. I did buy from Old Castle Farm, so will be interested to know what Ian says.

I'm looking/ thinking about getting the 9-frame Konigin extractor as well, other than the design issues you mentioned in your earlier post would you buy it again? What other extractors did you consider?

Thanks

Last edited:
I bought a 20 frame radial electric konigin for this season. It came with tangential inserts also which was great for extracting 14x12 frames. I love it and would definately buy it again if I had need to. Yes to get that last bit of honey from the bottom I put a bag of sugar under the back leg but it's no great burdon

What other extractors did you consider?
Nothing wrong with the Koningin, but if you want to shop around try Abelo - good kit with a three tier range - from basic to professional. Good quality kit and first rate customer service.

Just used my machine for first time this morning, why don't they make the legs long enough so you can fit a bucket and sieve underneath?

Other than that, excellent, combs spun out much drier than by hand, metal honey gate is a big improvement on the plastic one from before and the electric makes it so easier and quicker. Very happy with the purchase.

From the instructions from Konigin they talk of removing cage etc for an "annual clean" rather than after every extraction, any thoughts on that?

Also, can anyone recommend a food grade lubricant that they recommend to do the bottom bearing every year after cleaning?

So I got carried away yesterday and I collected my 20 frame electric Konigin from Thornes today. I bought from Thornes rather than OCF because I was up in Lincs for work and could save the delivery charge. I've just unloaded it from the back of my car, it's a solid bit of kit, I felt every kilo of it's 40kg weight. I'm sure the motor makes up good percentage of that, but nothing else is skimped on. I'm pretty impressed with the build quality and some tidy welding. This will make a pleasant change to 4 frame manual tangential I've been using up until now. I think I will put it on to castors before using it as it is just a bit awkwardly big and quite heavy.

Konigin 63-4-AG vs 82-4-AG

Does anyone have the smaller model? I spoke to Ian at Old Castle Farm and he strongly recommended the 82 instead. But I cannot get that in the house. I want to know if the 63 works well. Does anyone have one?

The 82-4-AG will take 4 brood frames or 8 super frames. I can confirm it will fit 2 super frames per tangential swing cage. I looked at 63-4-AG and both Konigin and Thornes confirmed would only fit 1 super frame per swing cage.

I may have missed a mention but missing from the line up seems to be

Thomas.

I had their 6 swing basket machine and it was very good apart from no brake.

PH

I thought I'd post up a bit of a review about the 20 frame machine now I've finished with it for the season.

Up until this summers extraction I've used a 4 frame tangential manual extractor which did the job but a very slow system as you had to flip the frames around multiple times and the fact it was only 4 frames as well. So to get an electrical 20 frame radial was a significant jump in processing capabilities.

If you just want to hear the good bit, I would buy it again.

It's a big and bulky machine and also relatively wide, I've made a stand with castors on which helps to move it around easily (can be found here
What did you do in the 'workshop' today). I collected it from Thornes in my car (Nissan Qashqai) and had to remove one of the legs to get it to fit into my boot on its side. Getting it out on my own back at mine was a bit awkward but I rested it on two legs against my car and attached the third and had to walk it into my shed. I've just looked on the Konigin website and they say it's 40kg, it's definitely solid and the motor is a fair lump too. It is something to factor in if you have limited storage space and need to move it often.

One of the main reasons for going with the Konigin machine is the motor is mounted underneath the machine so the top it flat when you remove the lift handle of the lid. I wanted to be able to store some bits on top of it easily, it also lowers the centre of gravity as well.

The split lid, half perspex and half stainless allows for plenty of room to place frames in and remove them. The basket is very well made with substantial metal and deep cut outs to hold the top bars in place. Actually using it is easy enough, it does have 3 different extraction modes. However I just set it into it's manual mode and slowly increased the speed to the rotation until probably about 75% power. At this point the frames came out amazingly dry compared to the old manual extractor I used to use. Unfortunately I never actual timed how long a full load took to extract but it wasn't more than 10 minutes I'd say. One thing I was expecting but didn't realise how careful I had to be was balancing the frames in the basket. The first load went it go up to 50% power started to rock quite substantially, after stopping it and having shift around of the frames it was fine. This is something that would affect all extractors not just this Konigin, but it's something to keep in mind when going to an extractor with more frames.

Last Friday was the last time I used it and I ran through 25 supers in 3.5 hrs! I hadn't done more than 15 in one session with the manual which would have taken probably over double the time.

I only have two negative points so far. Firstly is having to tilt it to drain it fully out as the base is convex so the honey runs to the outside of the base. Secondly is the whine form the motor/ pulley, interestingly this hardly changes as to what power it's on.

Would I buy it again? Yes.
View attachment Konigin Extractor.MOV

I have a Konigin extraction line and steam wax melter.

Latest posts

Back