Kingspan in Devon??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Anyone in Devon know where I can buy Kingspan?? Their stockist list has 3 Exeter suppliers - all of whom on contact said 'Oh, we don't stock that...':hairpull: B&* website says they stock it - but even the big semi-trade dept. we have do not hold a stock of it!! I asked 2 members of staff and only 1 had heard of it...

Jew*ons laughed...
Fo*ds - Nah - there's no demand round here... :icon_204-2:
Where can I find it???

Maybe ask for Celotex, same stuff? Maybe they are laughing because you may be asking for it in small quantity?

Jewson's in Honiton sell Recticel, which is basically the same stuff! I'd guess there is somewhere even closer...!

See if B and Q have got their polystyrene rafter insulation. It squashes up and just fits tight inside an empty super or eke.

And its cheaper that kingspan or similar

Because I want to make a stiff 'jacket' for the hive from hell for winter - I think I need something rigid...

I did ask about Celotex, but much the same answer. I don't think they minded about the quantity, when I mentioned bees they seemed sorry they couldn't help...

I hadn't heard of Recticel - and Honiton is only 10 miles - so I will try them...

I was asking in a few DIY places last week and was told that they start getting it in at the end if this month. Ask for rigid insulation.

Anyone in Devon know where I can buy Kingspan?? Their stockist list has 3 Exeter suppliers - all of whom on contact said 'Oh, we don't stock that...':hairpull: B&* website says they stock it - but even the big semi-trade dept. we have do not hold a stock of it!! I asked 2 members of staff and only 1 had heard of it...

Jew*ons laughed...
Fo*ds - Nah - there's no demand round here... :icon_204-2:
Where can I find it???

If you see piles of it on a building site sometimes a nice chat with the site Foreman and a couple of quid can work wonders

Wickes stock sheets of Celotex (or a clone) in a variety of sizes and thicknesses - you will find it in the building section probably near to the rolls of roof insulation ...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/190544

Bound to be a Wickes store somewhere near to you.

Probably not the cheapest way to get hold of it but convenient !

Wickes stock sheets of Celotex (or a clone) in a variety of sizes and thicknesses - you will find it in the building section probably near to the rolls of roof insulation ...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/190544

Bound to be a Wickes store somewhere near to you.

:iagree:

Foil-faced closed-cell polyurethane foam insulation board is splendid insulation.
Wickes sell 2" (50mm) thick Celotex board in car back seat size at a price that ain't expensive.
4" thick only comes in BIG sheets ...

If you are looking for aluminium sticky tape (for edging), check Lidl - it was in mine this week.
And Lidl should have hive straps in this week. Two ordinary, plus two ratchet, plus some bungees, plus some corner protectors (might be useful for strapping down soft foam) for a tenner for the bundle.

Last edited:
Because I want to make a stiff 'jacket' for the hive from hell for winter - I think I need something rigid...

I did ask about Celotex, but much the same answer. I don't think they minded about the quantity, when I mentioned bees they seemed sorry they couldn't help...

I hadn't heard of Recticel - and Honiton is only 10 miles - so I will try them...

All of my stuff is recticel bought from Jewsons, there are 9 branches of Jewsons within 20 miles of exeter.
For gaskets buy their 2mm black correx £4 a 2.4 by 1.2m sheet.

To put it together use bamboo bbq skewers from sainsburys with glue ( outdoor megagrip from screwfix)

Make it 10 to 20mm over size on internal dimensions, remember to tape seal inside and out. Make it long enough to to go down to the entrance,,, or you could do a full montezuma with floor and super
This was done to go with the colony that was taken away today. The recipient didnt have a poly so they got this with the bees to go over their wooden national.

picture.php

Last edited:
Wow - looks good - will drag my OH to Honiton tomorrow...:D Little does he know what will hit him...

Queens59, if you get stuck and Jewson doesn't have any, there's Bradfords up by the railway station, Layzell's in Awliscombe, and, as a few folk said, Wickes in Exeter had it last time I was in.

Wickes sell a cloned version as mentioned.

Since the sheets are big, I buy thinner sheets and then laminate them to the required thinkness with heavy duty double sided tape. I find the 25mm easy to work with (cut and shape) and you can biuld it up to 50, 75, 100mm easily for various appiations.

The 75mm and 100mm sheets are expensive, and dificult to cut neatly. The 25mm slices easily cut with a sharp stanley knife.

"See if B and Q have got their polystyrene rafter insulation. It squashes up and just fits tight inside an empty super or eke.
And its cheaper that kingspan or similar"

nowhere near as good as proper stuff - celotex, kingspan, recticell or whatever.

remember this stuff can be used for numerous purposes, not just on top of hive, but also to make insulated dummy boards or fill gaps in dummied down hives.

1 small sheet gives 2 pieces for on top of hive and 1 brood box deep piece.

Wickes sell a cloned version as mentioned.

Since the sheets are big, I buy thinner sheets and then laminate them to the required thinkness with heavy duty double sided tape. I find the 25mm easy to work with (cut and shape) and you can biuld it up to 50, 75, 100mm easily for various appiations.

The 75mm and 100mm sheets are expensive, and dificult to cut neatly. The 25mm slices easily cut with a sharp stanley knife.

A sharpened putty knife makes a great and cheap cutting tool for insulation.

Or a Swiss Army knife.. but the blade is under 3" to be legal so not so good..

Latest posts

Back