Keeping leather gloves supple?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have done a search and can find no reference to it. I have washed our leather gloves - I have done this many times - but on this occasion they have become quite brittle and hard. Can anyone suggest anything that can be rubbed into them (serious suggestions only!!) that will make them more pliable and that the bees will not take a dislike to?

Keep them.
You should use saddle soap or leather food well rubbed in, preferably on the inside which will absorb far more than the treated outer layer. A really well kept pair of leather gloves (tight fitting ones will stretch nicely to produce a second skin) gives you great feel and good protection and do not come off when stuck to the hive like marigolds do. They will also last a good few years.

To soften your leather gloves, turn them inside out, take the saddle soap and a sponge, moisten the sponge slightly and then rumb away at the saddle soap - do not produce a lather (if you do wash it off and start again) then rub the sponge onto the leather surface. Wipe off any excess and leave to dry and then turn right side out.

I use both types and find the plastic gloves a right pain but useful for visiting othe apiaries. Now wear the cheap builders gloves (which have a plasticpalm and fingers and a woven back as they are cheap and disposable.

olive oil, thats what i use on mine after washing them, works for me

Neatsfoot oil for horse saddles also works will on leather gloves, turn the gloves inside out and a liberal coating rubbed in.

Never used Neatsfoot oil on any of my saddles as it always leaves a residue that is hard to get off clothes. There are better proprietary leather foods out there that do the same job.;)

Not a bareback rider then, DAF?
:biggrinjester:

"I use both types and find the plastic gloves a right pain but useful for visiting othe apiaries. Now wear the cheap builders gloves (which have a plasticpalm and fingers and a woven back as they are cheap and disposable."

Do the bees not sting the back of your hands through the woven back?

Not a bareback rider then, DAF?
:biggrinjester:

No I am a big fan of leather. It just needs to be taken care of properly, washed down after use with warm soapy water, lanolin rubbed in regularly to keep it supple and moist and kept in a cool, dark place, hung on a proper stand. I used to get German ones but more recently have found a little man in Walsall who can supply me with English ones. I prefer the Podhajsky style rather than the modern close contact ones. Saddles that is.

"I use both types and find the plastic gloves a right pain but useful for visiting othe apiaries. Now wear the cheap builders gloves (which have a plasticpalm and fingers and a woven back as they are cheap and disposable."

I reckon it is the same as for marigolds and certainly for nitriles it is just they fit better and do not seems to get stuck and pull off or rip and tear like the nitriles. Remember I am using these for visits to other peoples aviaries where I would not be doing so much.

Last edited:
No I am a big fan of leather. It just needs to be taken care of properly, washed down after use with warm soapy water, lanolin rubbed in regularly to keep it supple and moist and kept in a cool, dark place, hung on a proper stand. I used to get German ones but more recently have found a little man in Walsall who can supply me with English ones. I prefer the Podhajsky style rather than the modern close contact ones. Saddles that is.
Ah - you a dressage man, then :)

I wear them back to front, with nitrile over for hygiene, not perfect but helps a bit. My hands are the only part that swells (careful!!) so try to protect them a bit, otherwise would just wear nitriles

I wear them back to front, with nitrile over for hygiene, not perfect but helps a bit. My hands are the only part that swells (careful!!) so try to protect them a bit, otherwise would just wear nitriles

Good idea that, might try it myself for Association apiary meetings.

Mars oil works a treat on leather (always use it for my deck shoes, cartridge bags and dog leads - neatsfoot for harness, but that was in another life!) but it does smell a little.

Latest posts

Back