Keeping jarred honey runny long term

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
My honey this year seems to be setting within a few days of extracting, this is causing me problems.

According to Hooper, honey can be kept runny long term by treating it the following way:

Put the honey in buckets and allow to set solid.

Heat bucket to 52c for 2 days which should make it runny again.

Strain to remove undissolved crystals

Put in jars and then heat honey to 62c for one hour in a water bath.

Honey will stay runny for 6-9 months.

Does the above work?

Antone got any alternatives??

All your doing is filtering out the larger set crystals, then bringing it back to a runny state. Eventually it will go back to a set state. You can always just put those jars in a warming cabinet and slowly bring up the temperature until it's runny again, or process it and sell it as soft set honey....

:iagree:
I think with all that heating you're going to change the taste.
I would cream it and bottle as soft set.
PS...just as a matter of interest what percentage of water is normal for OSR honey?

:iagree:
I think with all that heating you're going to change the taste.
I would cream it and bottle as soft set.
PS...just as a matter of interest what percentage of water is normal for OSR honey?

It won't record a reading in the refractometer when its setting...

Best not too heat above 50C. Granulated/crystallised honey is a sign of good quality and to make it unset again all that is necessary is slight warming - water bath, oven at low temp or microwave at lowest setting with metal lid off. This is just not a problem.

Does the above work?

Some honeys are more prone to crystallization, but yes it does work, also best to then cool rapidly.

Also helps to prevent fermentation should the honey have slightly too high a moisture content.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back