Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well, I had been squeezing by hand honey all day, had just tasted some and thought that it really was the best I had ever tasted.Back killing me. Got paranoid the dog might
zebyjy7e.jpg
get into the honey bucket so was looking for something well out of her way. Picked it up by the handle with one hand under the base...the handle broke! If was four or five inches from the bottom of the filter section. Can't believe it broke. Anyway, rescued a few jars and the bees will get about half of it back which is a nice turn of events for them. This was one of those Thornes honey buckets with the honey gate.

Sorry to see that. Feel for you!!

That is hard luck.

For the future, lift the buket by the handle, so the load is equally distributed on each side. I would guess that the handle did not break, but became detached from the pail?

Remember, too that the bucket was likely designed for a load of around 10kg if a 10l bucket. A full bucket of honey would weigh much more than that.

On a side note, you should not have pets in the area where you are processing honey. Simple basic hygiene.

What a shame. I think I would be gutted after all that work. You are very stoic, and as you say, at least the bees will benefit.

Interestingly the internal strainer of my plastic bucket became brittle and broke up when I was cleaning it prior to using it. The bucket itself seems OK, so maybe a different type of plastic? Either way, I am thinking of going to a stainless steel version for next year, both bucket and strainer! I really don't fancy a similar event, ie the bucket becoming brittle or the handle doing its own thing.

Better luck next time!

That is hard luck.

For the future, lift the buket by the handle, so the load is equally distributed on each side. I would guess that the handle did not break, but became detached from the pail?

Remember, too that the bucket was likely designed for a load of around 10kg if a 10l bucket. A full bucket of honey would weigh much more than that.

On a side note, you should not have pets in the area where you are processing honey. Simple basic hygiene.

Thanks,
I think I'm going to buy a small extractor as the work involved is silly. That or make a press of some sort.
The honey is only for our consumption and I normally process it in a room where the animals aren't allowed. There are building works now so I had to use the kitchen this time. Its a large kitchen but not animal free.

What a shame. I think I would be gutted after all that work. You are very stoic, and as you say, at least the bees will benefit.

Interestingly the internal strainer of my plastic bucket became brittle and broke up when I was cleaning it prior to using it. The bucket itself seems OK, so maybe a different type of plastic? Either way, I am thinking of going to a stainless steel version for next year, both bucket and strainer! I really don't fancy a similar event, ie the bucket becoming brittle or the handle doing its own thing.

Better luck next time!
Thanks all for the kind messages. I might look into steel bucket too. I wold expect a buckets handle to be designed to take the weight of it at least 3/4 full!
P.S O9O it did come off the hinge rather than break as you can almost see in the picture.

I have the same buckets the handles aren't that strong, I always lift them from the bottom.

I feel for you, I really do :(

That's so unfair.

Could be worse, you could have spilt it in your car as I did once. Very, very timewasting to clean up!
Cazza

Back