K wing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have seen about 12 bees per covered frame with K wing- is this a serious infestation. It is too cold yet for some of the treatments. I was advised 'Hiveclean'. The colony is otherwise very strong
Any thoughts on other treatments I could do? ?requeen asap. She is going great guns at the moment.

Varroa is probably at the heart of the problem. My advice would be wait a few more weeks then shook swarm onto fresh foundation, feed then treat after a few days with OA syrup.

I have no direct experience of Hive Clean but personally would not use it based on the reports I have heard - but it may work if the levels are already low and it is used regularly.

Varroa is probably at the heart of the problem. .

i thought K-wing is the classic symptom of Trachael Mites not varroa, so i would try thymol grease patties

much rarer now thymol is used to treat varroa

Varroa infestation may produce DWV which can be mistaken for K wing if a light infestation, so perhaps a photo might help

It is Tracheal mite, not varroa -that is deformed wing- but weather not yet warm enough for the patties, apparently.

There are not a lot- but if I can count 12 on quick look then I was worried as to the actual level.

will try a photo- not my best forte....

I suspect I was wrong about the varroa - sorry about that but acarine is quite rare in the UK nowadays although it is more common in Ireland I believe.

I would keep an open mind as to the cause at this time unless of course you can get some bees sampled. Acarine is fairly easy to spot after a bit of disection.

Friend of mine uses the recipe from her "bee keeping for dummies" book every autumn and spring and swears by it for grease patties. She simply smears the pattie on to the underside of crown board and puts a square of kingspan on top and leaves them to it as her colonies are in a shed.

A virus can cause the same K wing syptoms as acarine,but if it is acarine,then the quickest way to cure is with formic acid.

And would you treat if a strong colony and not excessive bee damage... or will it rectify itself??

If a very strong colony, and only a few spotted with K wing caused by acarine, i would not be to worried at the moment...just monitor them and it may well just clear up as the season progresses...would always see a few bee's each season like this back pre varroa days...the worst i ever saw were NZ yellow bee's,clumps of bee's on grass,others crawling around on the ground.

I suspect I was wrong about the varroa - sorry about that but acarine is quite rare in the UK nowadays although it is more common in Ireland I believe.

I would keep an open mind as to the cause at this time unless of course you can get some bees sampled. Acarine is fairly easy to spot after a bit of disection.
Varroa is the vector for kwv.
according to Dr Stephen Martin a leading expert on Varroa and it's influence on initiating epidemics amongst a whole host of pathogens normally carried within a bee colony!!
Google Dr. Stephen Martin .Sheffield University :D

John Wilkinson

Might just be ragged bees - they have been around for a few months now - a photo should help clear it up. Also, hold off on the chemical treatments until you know more.

Heather

As long as the colony as a whole is building up strongly I'd suggest you just leave it as healthy bees may well outgrow the problem.

imo It's dead dodgy to go mucking about trying to treat them at this time of year.

richard

imo It's dead dodgy to go mucking about trying to treat them at this time of year.

Richard,just out of interest,why do you think treating them at this time of year would be dead dodgy,anymore than say, pouring oxalic over them in January.

Latest posts

Back