Just sat and watched

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hughesie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 1
Just spent 20 minutes watching the girls returning to the hive laden with snowdrop pollen , amazing sight

H

It is a heavenly sight to see them fly after a harsh winter. They bring warmth and hope signaling the start of the Beekepping season!!!
Mine were bringing yellow/orange pollen, think may be crocus.

It is a heavenly sight to see them fly after a harsh winter. They bring warmth and hope signaling the start of the Beekepping season!!!
Mine were bringing yellow/orange pollen, think may be crocus.

Yep I believe it is as mine were all doing the same and the bed of crocus in the wooded area near to he hives was very busy with bees!

I had a look at this thread whilst at work and thought I would use up some flexi so dashed up in time to spend 20 mins watching them. Not very many about but some pollen (pale yellow) so I guess its the Hazel catkins. Lots of snowdrops nearby. What colour is that pollen?

I better not look at this forum at work to much or I may owe more time than I should. A lunch break could easily last the rest of the afternoon.

why not move a hive to work with you? that way you can observe freely!!!!

Nice idea but most of my time is spent driving and I dont think the girls would like a change of location every couple of hours.
If I put a hive at the office Mrs elf & safety would soon put a stop to it.

No I am quite happy sciving off on the quiet. A bit of peace and quiet is often needed and bee watching is a great stress reliever.

Take a look at this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8j-gw3tIPM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8j-gw3tIPM[/ame]

Thats great thanks what a wonderful video. Definitely not Snowdrop then.

All mine had a flying day today.. Pollen coming in as well.

Late in the afternoon when they had finished I looked at my obs hive and there were hardly any bees on the upper frames....
Checked on the other side and it was the same there...

Just looked as like about a third of the bees had done a runner...

On closer inspection I see that on the lower frames, nearly all of the cells in the central area of the lower frames have bees bums poking out of them.... so it seems the "missing" ones are busy.....and still active doing something at 9 in the evening...

Back