Just bought a rotovator I can recommend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old Merry Tiller is called Boudica, the best attachments are a dual set of spikes either side, that really rip through heavy soil :)

Never mind, i love all old machinery anyway,would love to get hold of a field marshall tractor some day,when i get more time.

Heh, I've just rebuilt a Merry Tiller (big chain snapped) and overhauled the B&S engine at the same time. Starts on the button with electronic ignition.

Field Marshall? I'm about half way through one of those...can you post pictures in this place?

Rae,just click the paperclip in the top row when you are adding a reply to a post and point to the picture location on your hardrive.

Thanks - will stick a few pics up when I get home....

Rae, electronic ignition! Don't know you're born. Bet you've even got a guard over the drive belt.

Ours needs a cockerel slaughtered first and even then will only start if the moon is in the right phase. Once it does start the problem is then stopping it as the little bit of metal which shorts out the plug went missing donkey's years ago.

as the little bit of metal which shorts out the plug went missing

What's wrong with a screwdriver (with aplastic handle)? Or turn off the fuel?

Regards, RAB

Field Marshall pics:

attachment.php

As found - had been there for something like 35 years

attachment.php

First start - I wasn't quick enough to catch the birds nest that came out first

attachment.php

Fixing the leak in the cylinder head gasket.

attachment.php

Frightening the wits out of the good residents of Hackney one fine day...

Good pics Rae, looks tidy,even before you did the work on it,lovely noise they make, i want one.

Hopefully I'm going to be rolling the bee field with it this winter. It idles at about 60 rpm - as you say, a great noise. It was in reasonable order when I got it - at least it was unmolested. You can't see it in the first pic, but all of the tin work was totally shot. On the + side, the engine ran after about 3 hours work.

Rae, electronic ignition! Don't know you're born. Bet you've even got a guard over the drive belt.

Ooops, yes, I have the guard! The original coil looked like it had done time on the sea bed, so I priced up a new one + points + capacitor - then realised that the modern "self timed, no need to adjust anything" ignition was cheaper. So I got that!

Last edited:

Ours needs a cockerel slaughtered first and even then will only start if the moon is in the right phase. Once it does start the problem is then stopping it as the little bit of metal which shorts out the plug went missing donkey's years ago.

Very funny post,mad me laugh Rooftops..

i have a modern merry tiller type jobby from denmark but my true love is my howard gem its a 1955 model we a single cylinder jap engine i have a second engine and another propper howard gem engine twin cylinder, its a slow job doing her up as the money takes a while to collect and is gone else where very quickly, i have just spent 290quid having the magneto completle rebuilt from scratch as on the last howard the magneto is the bain of all my problems i just have to redo the head and side valves, i personal would love a major tractor but have no garden for it to work on it and the council wont let me park it on the road ha ha ha

Back