Just add Bees - Just say no!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least the Beehaus people tell people there is more to it than "adding bees". :rolleyes:

I'd ask the store to keep a record of where the buyers live so the local swarm collectors will be ready for the call...

One of my colleagues at Fleet Beekeepers sent me this today - Apparently CostCo are selling these "Natural beekeeping" kits for £300 with the slogan "Just add bees"...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Dq1IuGW46jTlloX1NTZlNOWFk/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Dq1IuGW46jTm1YendBcDNLY2M/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Dq1IuGW46jTlloX1NTZlNOWFk/edit?usp=sharing

Photos taken by a friend - plastic outer with unknown sized frames inside without foundation, so may be some kind of top bar setup. Looks like a whole load of trouble.

PS. Tried for 40 mins to directly place images here with no joy - What an obtuse BBS system...

I think the legs look a bit suspect but apart from that the more I see of it the better it gets and in the right setting could look rather nice.

They seem to have a variety of these hives offering other styles of beekeeping:

http://www.wildlifeworld.co.uk/hbhh2_homebee_honey_hive_WBC_kit.html

This one has frames with no beespace between the frames and another has top bars WITH beespace between them ... very confusing (at least for someone who has bought it in Costco !).

I suspect that they have not proved to be a winner and they are clearing their stock out via Costco ...

probably considerably warmer than a cedar british national if only for keeping the wind and the rain off.
need to test it to be sure.
in testing the stranger hives I've had a few surprises.

Mother sent me a clipping of one of these at £300 from a gardening magazine

Fortunately nobody bought me one!

probably considerably warmer than a cedar british national if only for keeping the wind and the rain off.
need to test it to be sure.
in testing the stranger hives I've had a few surprises.

Have you tested a WBC?

Have you tested a WBC?

not yet
done KTBH, Warre (2 types), Skep complete with cow dung
6 types of poly
and a cedar national.

I have a healthy respect for the thermal performance 4" of woodshavings and 2 inchs of hard packed straw covered with cow dung.

Last edited:
Don't slag off Costco too much, where else in the world will you get a 1.4kg bag of M&Ms !!!

I think they are a great shop ... good value and things you can't buy anywhere else ... but not for beehives !!

Mind you 1.4kg of M&M's would leave me dancing on the ceiling .... more e's than eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !

It isn't the hive that matters as much as beekeeper practise. Beekeeper could be great with this hive as much as there are awful beekeepers on nationals and langstroths.

Why not beehives

I just feel that it's not really fair to the people who may buy them, on impulse, on the premise that it's 'just add bees' ... You know there's a bit more to beekeeping than just dropping a load of bees into a box ...

I could see a situation where someone bought this, shoved it in a small garden in the centre of a housing estate and threw some bees in it thinking that this was all they had to do ... the results for the person, their neighbours and potentially the bees could be disasterous. Yes ... it might be the beginning of beekeeping for someone but it should come with a proper warning and perhaps a Haynes Beekeeping Manual as well.

Are you just being a little bit provocative today Tom ?

I think they are a great shop ... good value and things you can't buy anywhere else ... but not for beehives !!

Mind you 1.4kg of M&M's would leave me dancing on the ceiling .... more e's than eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !

In the USA Costco is highway robbery. 50 bucks to get in the door for a year and most items are higher then the local grocery. I recently had this conversation with a coworker who always thinks he is getting some deal at costco. I challenged him to pick an item and we would both go buy it and return to compare receipts.

Long story short we decided on coffee K-cups. He came back with a massive box of cups and my box only contained 12 cups. When we divided the cost per cup mine were 10 cents cheaper each.

I just feel that it's not really fair to the people who may buy them, on impulse, on the premise that it's 'just add bees' ... You know there's a bit more to beekeeping than just dropping a load of bees into a box ...

I could see a situation where someone bought this, shoved it in a small garden in the centre of a housing estate and threw some bees in it thinking that this was all they had to do ... the results for the person, their neighbours and potentially the bees could be disasterous. Yes ... it might be the beginning of beekeeping for someone but it should come with a proper warning and perhaps a Haynes Beekeeping Manual as well.

We have been asked to lend support to a local pollinators initiative wherein in we endorse the use of Warre hives in the wider community. Refused!

In the USA Costco is highway robbery. 50 bucks to get in the door for a year and most items are higher then the local grocery. I recently had this conversation with a coworker who always thinks he is getting some deal at costco. I challenged him to pick an item and we would both go buy it and return to compare receipts.

Long story short we decided on coffee K-cups. He came back with a massive box of cups and my box only contained 12 cups. When we divided the cost per cup mine were 10 cents cheaper each.

We also have Makro here which is similar in that the corner shop can be cheaper on some items.

Perhaps a little bit Phil a case of idle hands, sitting around doing nothing when I have work to do.

My earlier comment on foundationless beekeeping was tongue in cheek as I predicted you would return with a rather long well written reply. Sorry it was not meant to offend.

I have met the person you describe in your post and could have sold him a hive in a second of him walking into my workshop but I told him they were all orders, as I talked to him regarding what’s involved I could see his enthusiasm diminish. He went away to think about it and never came back, but I sold so many hives to people without even talking to them or seeing them he could have been one of them. I bet Hivemaker has also met a similar person and would also persuade them its not that easy or sold to him/her without any contact and all the other suppliers most certainly have also. Stupid people walk amongst us there’s nothing we can do about that. I agree the packaging saying just add the bees may lead some people to do just that and may cause problems down the road.

They do have good deals over here... but you have to be careful and do your research. Justcos they stock it doesnt mean its cheap. They are reliably a cheap source for sugar. But alot of their fruit or nut containing products (e.g. almonds) are from the U.S. and I dont think the U.S. Agriculture does U.S. Bees any favours So those products are for us, a No-sale.

It may be highway robbery in the states, but when you can get 1000 paracetamol (acetaminophen) off the shelf in Costco for under $10 and the same would cost me over €125.... The $40 a year membership paid for itself first time I walked through the door. Every time I go to my company HQ just outside Boston I fill the case with Costco bargains. It could be batteries, toothpaste, 2.5kg bags of chocolate bars or whatever! As long as it fits in the case and doesn't bring me over my baggage allowance I'll buy it.

I saw these hives in Costco on Friday and was horrified. So much so I have sent a letter to Costco saying that I think that selling these is perhaps accidentally irresponsible. A big spiel about swarms, romantic ideas of keeping bees people seem to have, and it is a serious error to be selling them in a place like Costco, etc etc.

Costco are based in Watford so apologies to Herts Bee-keeping Association because I suggested to Costco that they ought to speak with someone there to get a better idea just what they are selling. I did also suggest they talk to the BBKA.

Costco's return policy is very good and I think that they are going to get a lot of returns on this product.

Latest posts

Back