June Gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Quick question here - anybody experiencing this. My lot are taking advantage of any break in this disasterous weather cycle to get out there foraging.
Will it/has it stopped for anybody?
P.

The 'June gap' was far more prevalent before the climate started to play tricks on us this last decade or two.

Also crops have changed over the years. There is unlikely, for instance, to be much of a gap if there is spring OSR within reach. Not a common crop, but really useful for a good yield (usually).

Spring OSR in my experience although in the north was pretty hopeless as a honey crop. More like the Autumn OSR of today, fast to flower and equally fast to go over.

I certainly wouldn't move for it.

PH

You may not, but I would. Worth a couple of supers last time I did it and I missed the start of it, at that. A local commercial beek reported a superb crop about two or three years ago - got him a decent crop, after a poor start to the season.

Fast to flower? Not like this year, then? NBG as a crop for six + of the eight weeks, but certainly different this year!

Lots of brambles, elder and some dog roses here at the moment.

Crappy weather aside I've experienced a gap in june for the last 3 years. Theres pollen and some nectar coming in but not enough to feed the colonies. Bramble due to open soon by the looks of the buds :)

My bees are on bramble and elder at the moment.

Moved some commercials to a lime avenue last night.

Anyone seen lime flowering yet? Looks imminent here in Norfolk, good spell of sunshine this week should be starting.

Had very elder flowery tasting honey last year and is lots near them, so think so. Lime not out here yet

Last edited:
Have a look when you pass elder trees in flower - no bees ever in my experience, honey or bumbles. When I pick them for cordial I might have to shake off a few spiders and greenfly but never bees.
In Plants and Beekeeping by F N Howes it is described thus:

"The strongly scented flowers of the elder, which most people find
unpleasant, are not normally visited by the honey bee and have
been described as nectarless (u). The fact that they appear in
June when there is usually an abundance of other pollen sources
may be the reason why they do not even attract the honey bee for
pollen. As the plant is so common everywhere, even to the extent
of becoming a nuisance arid a pest in some districts, and flowers so
freely, it is a great pity for the beekeeper that it is not a good honey
plant."

Had a look at the nearest lime tree last night and the buds were still very tight shut, I would guess at least a week until they open here.

Rich.

Bell and lime usually coincide so a bit early yet for both.

Certainly been wet enough to give the limes a good drink.

PH

Wedmore does not list it at all which strongly, very strongly suggests it is useless.

Just a heads up that Wedmore's lists of pollen plants and honey sources are pretty much definitive. It is worth obtaining a copy for them alone.

PH

it is a great pity for the beekeeper that it is not a good honey
plant."

The flowers make excellent "Champagne" though. :)
Not much of a June gap here either.
Every inspection in the last month has been grabbed at a moments notice dependent on a little sunshine between diluvian weather. Every time I have been armed with syrup and every time there is plenty of nectar stored. They are getting out and foraging.
Neighbour's Whitebeam was humming this morning and Bramble is just starting.
Limes are tight shut.

While working in Talybont on Usk, I noticed a tree that I was not familiar with. It was absolutely alive with bees.

The Winter King Hawthorn.

Hooray! my bees were out working like crazy today for the first time in weeks. I suspect mostly on the brambles blanketing the nearby London-Croydon railway embankment.

Not a one on the sprays of Elder flower in my hedge....

Latest posts

Back