June Gap???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having done an inspection yesterday I am now adding a 3rd super to my hives could this be the result of clover on a small moor near my home? What happened to the June gap?

Where I am there has been a very obvious and early "June gap" (some colonies coming out of it with less stores than they had going into it). This was caused by a combination of the extremely dry spring we had, and the poor weather that followed it.

But now that is well and truly over - the summer flow has definitely started round 'ere... Get those supers ready!

Obviously the situation may be very different where you are...

Ben P

Last edited:
my bees seemed to have a gap, couple of weeks of quiet but now they seem to be on the go again. Also at the weekend I discovered what I believe to be Honey bee heaven............. funny looking crop about 300 yds away in a 7 acre field......... looked like weeds but on closer inspection its 90% Clover just about to flower. Spoke to the farmer who has put it in as a silage crop, its meant to be grass and clover but in the recent dry spell the only thing that really grew was the clover........ :hurray:

"what I believe to be Honey bee heaven"

you sure. i thought clover was no good due to depth of flowers? (except second crop after cutting). and you'll need sustained high temps for a flow anyway.

Late osr in my area 3 weeks ago which I extracted and was prepared to feed depending on what and how much they were bringing in. I saw loads of white clover nearby which is good hopefully if we have had the gap I've not noticed it....

We have had loads and loads of clover around for the past 4 weeks and now we have all the blackberries are coming out :cheers2:

Our gap was definitely in May, not June, or at least not at the moment. It took a while to get going again (and all my colonies need to recover a bit) but the gardens around here are now full of good nectar flowers, my borage patch is roaring with bees, and the queens are finally producing a good pattern of eggs again (I was beginning to think they'd all flown away).

Well I am hoping the 7 acres of white clover will be good for them, as you can see I am a new beekeeper, this year being my first and I am learning all the time. Might be time for another 'Myth buster' if the bees dont like the clover.
Time will tell and the bees will decide. I can see myself sat up the field at the weekend clocking my bees in and out !

Well I am hoping the 7 acres of white clover will be good for them, as you can see I am a new beekeeper, this year being my first and I am learning all the time. Might be time for another 'Myth buster' if the bees dont like the clover.
Time will tell and the bees will decide. I can see myself sat up the field at the weekend clocking my bees in and out !

Me too first cut has gone and second flowering not long I hope.

Good luck.

Depends on the type of white clover,the large flowered leafy new zealand type in not much good for bees,the small flowered or wild dutch type often seen by roadsides as well as in fields is very good, but needs high temperatures to secrete nectar.

I have plenty of white clover on my lawns and never seen honey bees on it, only bumbles, so I was under the impression that they didn't forage on any.
Surprised today to find them going mad on the flowers on the Phormium, very ugly flowers but nectar dripping down too, so can't be all bad. View attachment 4271
Louise

Depends on the type of white clover,the large flowered leafy new zealand type in not much good for bees,the small flowered or wild dutch type often seen by roadsides as well as in fields is very good, but needs high temperatures to secrete nectar.

Thanks for the information Hivemaker!

Makes learning simpler.

"I can see myself sat up the field at the weekend clocking my bees in and out !"

easier to sit at the hive and count those bearing appropriate pollen (brown).

"I can see myself sat up the field at the weekend clocking my bees in and out !"

easier to sit at the hive and count those bearing appropriate pollen (brown).

Clover pollen coming into my hives at the mo' :)

VM

Yep I am getting brown too. But a complete wash out today
Thought I would use a 'bar code' scanner to 'blip' them in and out !

Thanks for all the Clover info, very good.
On another subject my bees have suddenly changed watering holes, after months drinking out of my bird bath that I have filled every day for them they have decided that they prefer to drink off the lily pads of my pond about 100yds further away. Must be more natural I guess

God you are all lucky, Struggling here in the Welsh Marches. They have eaten through two supers and our main crops are over. The lime all got caught by the frost, we have nothing left in quantity. They are going to have to work really hard to fill another super each!

Latest posts

Back