jarring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

at the moment I use a ladle from a bucket :(

what is the best way to get the honey into the jar without spilling. Are valves on tanks the way to go?

Cheers
Pete

Cheers Guys

purchased! (attached to a tank!) :cool:

also bought more honey buckets! (hopefully needed!)

Blimey! With 30 hives, that must have taken forever!!! You will wonder what to do with the extra time once you use your valve and tank.

Cazza

only 18 of mine are producing enough to harvest (the rest are being raised)... I have only jarred 50 jars so far. with a ladle, it is easy but messy.

fortunately, I have many buckets!

Hi Guys

what is the best way to get the honey into the jar without spilling. Are valves on tanks the way to go?

Cheers
Pete

With 30+ hives you should be looking at a decent bottling tank, otherwise to much like hard work.

With 30+ hives you should be looking at a decent bottling tank, otherwise to much like hard work.

I have a few larger tanks, but the 30lb buckets fit perfectly into my honey warmer...

Pay me a visit if you want to see my set up (and marine tank)

I have a few larger tanks, but the 30lb buckets fit perfectly into my honey warmer...

Depending on what you use for a warming cabinet (mine is an old under counter size fridge) I can get either 2 x 30lbs buckets in or 1 x 40kg plastic honey tank with valve!

I have a larger 80kg tank but never used it so far as it doesn't fit in the warming cabinet and I have never had enough runny honey to warrent it's use.

I use the Lidl Jam maker that appeared on the forum a year or two ago.

set to 35, it works a treat (I use an independent thermostat. not sure if I trust the on board one)

The 'jam maker' is also handy for doing jerry cans full of syrup ready for the autumn feed.

I have a larger 80kg tank but never used it so far as it doesn't fit in the warming cabinet and I have never had enough runny honey to warrent it's use.

Don't bother (unless you possess Geoff Capes genes :)
VM

Don't bother (unless you possess Geoff Capes genes :)
VM

Totally agree, I use 30lb buckets with tap.. I can lift those in and out of the warmer, just !!, with 100kg i would require a crane

My cousin has a 200kg stainless tank with heated water jacket...but it is in a purpose built wet room with sealed wall surfaces, double sink and flyscreens over windows

fill it up leave over night, set at 35c , drain off the bee legs and black specks from the cone base, skim the froth from the top and 500 12oz jars later you still have some left in the tank and that's when we go to the pub

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back