I've hope I've got me a great catch!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Walking through our village yesterday my wife suddenly changed the conversation and said "well are you going to do something about that before someone gets hurt?" Forgive me forum, I had just walked through a small cloud of bees in the middle of the main street whilst deep in conversation and oblivious to their pressence!

I am excited by what I (sorry, my wife) found though. A quick chat to the property owner and they were pleased to let me gather the swarm. The original colony is well known in the village. It has lived in the current location for 6 years plus and throws out a swarm most seasons. The cottage had its main chimney converted and lined with a flu pipe 7 years ago, that left a void between the old chimney and the pipe, that is where the colony lives, un-approachable, untreatable and fortunately valued rather than despised by the property owner. I know two beeks who have previously dealt with swarms from the chimney colony and they have developed into great colonies of healthy bees. By reputation they are generally docile, reasonably productive but more interestingly seem to show low varroa loadings. Not sure what their winter temperature tollerance will be given their centrally heated origin but any queen from colony that goes from strength to strength without intervention must be a great catch. Your thoughts?

For info, the collection was simple and safe but took some time. It was a moderate size and positioned at the base of a pyracantha, well into the bush (that could not be trimmed back). Collection was via a piece of carpet laid on the soil (hessian side up), shake bush, pull out carpet, transfer to a pre-stocked 14x12 BB (with a catch super on the top), repeat until queen was in there or there was sufficient critical mass for the rest of the swarm to walk in. Start to finish 2 hours.

Last edited:
:hurray:Lucky swine!!
There's a colony that has been living for years in the stone wall of the (very old) building where I work, and I've tried to catch one of their swarms for two years running now. They have never given us any bother - no stings or agression even when they once came into our office via a crack in the hollow wall and filled our window with agitated workers. I just picked them up and carried them out. As far as we can tell they have been there continuously for years, so must have a reasonable degree of varroa and other disease resistance. They're very high up though: the swarms tend to gather high in the air, then b*gger off over the nearby fields rather than settle nearby. I live in hope.

It will be interesting to see how your new colony works out. Sounds like they could be a really valuable find.

Brilliant!! The people of your village and that house deserve a medal in my opinion!!

Live and let live, it's all about putting something back.

Keep us updated I'll be interested to hear how they develop.

Oh on another not I meant to ask;

Can you advise which side of the stack the entrance is and which side is the comb also i.e. North south east west?

I would be intrested to know what they have found as good conditions.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back