It's snowing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
So lovely to see, we don't get it often, just hope the temps drop so the rain laid land freeze and snow lays:toetap05:

Happens every year..

It's called winter..

It tried to snow whilst we were putting weed fabric down in the apiary today. It might have succeeded had there not been quite so much rain.

Disappointed, so far it's not laying :(

Not here it doesn't

Yes ... settling quite a lot here in the Costa del Fareham and the temperature is dropping so the slush is going to freeze tonight - we are well protected from the South by the IOW and to the North by Portsdown Hill so we really don't get snow very often. There's just what I would describe as a smattering of it here at present and the roads are already chaotic - people are either driving like lunatics for the conditions or so slowly and gingerly that they are even more dangerous.

I'm a Northerner and spent time working in Scotland - they just get on with it North of Watford - down here they have no idea how to handle it.

I think I'm going to have to head for Wales, they bound to have it up the farm there..

So lovely to see, we don't get it often, just hope the temps drop so the rain laid land freeze and snow lays:toetap05:

Looks nice for a strictly limited time but when it thaws the fields become a sea of mud slurry and grass loss if grazing allowed to continue. A day of snow results in a week of confinement to stables or hard surface yard for our horses and needing increased hay supplies. If it never snowed again here I wouldn't miss it. :hairpull:

A little flurry here, just enough to cover the paintwork on the car. Probably this will be it for 2017

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Is the time to open the feed holes, take the insulation out, and put the matchsticks in.?

I've made a bonfire of vanities - and matchsticks. :sunning:

Over here temps got around zero ( a bit warmer) and snowing right now. After weekend break, more to come ( and hopefully to last) during next week. So far such normal winter give us hope we should have decent beekeeping season and decent accumulation of water for the plants..
I think will have to walk again 3km uphill through the snow and the way back.. But I don't mind..

I wonder if anyone can remember who it was who first mentioned the putting of matchsticks under Crown Boards to improve ventilation - and why it was actually a very sound idea ... ?
LJ

I wonder if anyone can remember who it was who first mentioned the putting of matchsticks under Crown Boards to improve ventilation

Wedmore?

Last edited:
The reason why was probably because years ago they didn't use insulation above the crown board so condensation fell from the roof onto the Bees. Matchsticks were one option but we know now that insulation was better. It looks like we took a step backwards when we ditched the WBC with its quilted cover that bees would cover with propolis if things got a bit cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Over here temps got around zero ( a bit warmer) and snowing right now. After weekend break, more to come ( and hopefully to last) during next week. So far such normal winter give us hope we should have decent beekeeping season and decent accumulation of water for the plants..
I think will have to walk again 3km uphill through the snow and the way back.. But I don't mind..

Within 9 hours it has fallen pretty much. More to come during coming week ( hopefully)..

Attachments

• winter bee.jpg
    winter bee.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 19
  • winter 1.jpg
    winter 1.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 19
  • winter 2.jpg
    winter 2.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 19
  • winter cat.jpg
    winter cat.jpg