itchy palms and soles of feet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Helped someone today with some very angry bees...ended up with 6+ stings.
followed by very itchy palms and soles of feet. within 30 minutes antihistamine taken and all good after further 30 minutes.

last year (my first year) total 20+ stings but never itchy before.

anyone experienced this?? just concerned my reaction to stings have changed

I will make sure I carry Antihistamine with me in future.

All my stings used to swell and itch so badly I couldn't sit still. I had that reaction for about 30 years which is why I wear bomb proof suits etc. Then one day, a disaster with a few hives, many many stings and ..... No reaction at all, and that's how it's stayed. Now the area just burns a bit.
I still take as many precations as possible to avoid stings though. They make me jump and i don't like them!!!!!!

I have only had itchy hands when stung on them. I cut our hedge today and the stinging nettles give me worse pain snd reactions than bees. Go figure.

I always thought getting stung was much over rated until I also suffered very itchy palms and soles of feet after taking multiple stings from the hive from hell.
Since then I have kept Piriton close by but worry that I might be becoming allergic to bee venom.

How do folk manage to get stung so many times, i only where a jacket with normal trousers and i can count on one hand how many times i got stung over three season with evil bees, this year i have only been stung twice on my finger tips through nitrile gloves (my own fault crushing bees) if you lot wear the right equipment how do you manage to get stung so much..?

stinging nettles give me worse pain and reactions than bees. Go figure.

Stinging nettles thrashing was used by the Romans to keep warm and aid blood circulation so cannot be all bad.
If anyone wants to try it then PM me We have a good crop in the garden.

I was always told it meant you were coming into money and going travelling

Helped someone today with some very angry bees...ended up with 6+ stings.
followed by very itchy palms and soles of feet. within 30 minutes antihistamine taken and all good after further 30 minutes.

last year (my first year) total 20+ stings but never itchy before.

anyone experienced this?? just concerned my reaction to stings have changed

I will make sure I carry Antihistamine with me in future.

I have been stung several times on my hands with almost no effect. Two weeks ago while having a cup of post-inspection tea at the local association apiary I was stung on the head twice (as were a couple of other people), again almost no effect. Last Sunday I was stung on the face while watching the bees from a distance and the whole side of my face and eye swelled up for a couple of days, also, for half an hour, I had terrible itching on my buttocks and the central point in my buttocks (if you know what I mean) although I wasn't stung there. Yesterday, I was stung through my bee suit on the left side of my stomach -- back to normal, no real effect apart from a little localised itching. I can only think that it's where you are stung, how long the sting remains in the puncture wound and whether or not the bee is particulary venomous or agitated that causes these differences.

How do folk manage to get stung so many times, i only where a jacket with normal trousers and i can count on one hand how many times i got stung over three season with evil bees, this year i have only been stung twice on my finger tips through nitrile gloves (my own fault crushing bees) if you lot wear the right equipment how do you manage to get stung so much..?

I suspect you have just been lucky. Yesterday was the first time I've been stung through a bee suit and yet nowadays my hands are never stung because I wear Tesco rubber gloves with nitrile gloves over the top. Perhaps your bees are more bark than bite and fooling you into thinking they are worse than they are. I invite you to do an inspection on my evil bees, you might find things a little different :cheers2:

I have been stung several times on my hands with almost no effect. Two weeks ago while having a cup of post-inspection tea at the local association apiary I was stung on the head twice (as were a couple of other people), again almost no effect. Last Sunday I was stung on the face while watching the bees from a distance and the whole side of my face and eye swelled up for a couple of days, also, for half an hour, I had terrible itching on my buttocks and the central point in my buttocks (if you know what I mean) although I wasn't stung there. Yesterday, I was stung through my bee suit on the left side of my stomach -- back to normal, no real effect apart from a little localised itching. I can only think that it's where you are stung, how long the sting remains in the puncture wound and whether or not the bee is particulary venomous or agitated that causes these differences.

I suspect you have just been lucky. Yesterday was the first time I've been stung through a bee suit and yet nowadays my hands are never stung because I wear Tesco rubber gloves with nitrile gloves over the top. Perhaps your bees are more bark than bite and fooling you into thinking they are worse than they are. I invite you to do an inspection on my evil bees, you might find things a little different :cheers2:

You may have missed my earlier posts regarding mental bees and what i was up against for the past three seasons.
The bees where not nice, far from it , balled up gloves during inspections pinging of the veil like a machine gun, multiple sting's in my suit everywhere, the goats/Horses and dogs also got attacked over 50yrd's away when i inspected the angry mob, so i have not been lucky i have been properly prepared and zipped up, if you where closer i would happily place a bet with you that i would 100% guarantee not get stung when going through your bees.
I have the T shirt and worn it for a few years.

P.s i will not wear nitrile gloves though if the bet ever happens..:D

Sorry millet, those are not evil bees then. Evil bees would be inside clothes like that before you even got to them. Not calling you a liar or anyhting, just doubting that you have yet met truly evil bees, just feisty ones! :sorry:

Sorry millet, those are not evil bees then. Evil bees would be inside clothes like that before you even got to them. Not calling you a liar or anyhting, just doubting that you have yet met truly evil bees, just feisty ones! :sorry:

Please do not apologize i respect you greatly and listen to your advice with open ears and mind, the bees in Question where always fine until opened up or knocked, once opened up all hell would break loose, i will not repeat what i previously said but they where evil, i would probably have lost a good lot during inspections judging by the state of my suit.

By the way my suit is already on before i go near the bees.. ;)

My stings were all through the bee suit..:icon_204-2:what suit do you use??

Last season was my first and most of my work was with my mentor and his bees. I probably got stung on the arm, through my suit, about every other visit. On one occasion I counted 14 stings on my arms.

I tore a hole in my Simon the Beekeeper veil and decided to switch to a BBWear one instead as a treat to myself. Since then I've had no stings through the suit. I've switched from long sleeve t-shirts to normal t-shirts underneath so it must be the suit.

I can't see any obvious difference in the material but perhaps it is slightly thicker?

All my stings used to swell and itch so badly I couldn't sit still. I had that reaction for about 30 years which is why I wear bomb proof suits etc. Then one day, a disaster with a few hives, many many stings and ..... No reaction at all, and that's how it's stayed. Now the area just burns a bit.
I still take as many precations as possible to avoid stings though. They make me jump and i don't like them!!!!!!

which bomb proof suits....

which bomb proof suits....

Ozarmour, your money back if you stung through the suit. But watch the veil, it's a weak point and can get close to your face and they will sting through it. Baseball cap helps keep it away.

My stings were all through the bee suit..:icon_204-2:what suit do you use??
My first jacket was a cheap £30 one from fleabay i would wear a baggy jumper underneath which made inspections fairly uncomfortable in warm weather, i got stung on my hands but never through the suit.

My new Jacket is a ventilated three layer OZ Armour, it is impossible for a bee to get it's stinger through the mesh, i still take the odd one to my hands but that is normally my own fault.

All in one. I use BB sheriff. My first one was from thornes and lasted 25 years. This one from BB seems good, I wear a layer of thin clothes underneath. I wear blue plastic gloves with gauntlets from. paines and wellies. I am no hero! I can do it in bare hands. I can get stung but I don't get any macho pleasure from it so I avoid it all costs. I also do quite a bit of mentoring here and there and you never know what there people's bees are going to be like!
E

All in one. I use BB sheriff. My first one was from thornes and lasted 25 years. This one from BB seems good, I wear a layer of thin clothes underneath. I wear blue plastic gloves with gauntlets from. paines and wellies. I am no hero! I can do it in bare hands. I can get stung but I don't get any macho pleasure from it so I avoid it all costs. I also do quite a bit of mentoring here and there and you never know what there people's bees are going to be like!
E

+2 , i have been stung many times over the years by wasps and bees, i can handle the pain but it is not nice and i get no pleasure from it, like you i avoid getting stung at all costs.

3 weeks ago I inspected 4 colonies and united 2 in my shorts with a veil, I did get stung last week squashing a bee between super and brood, my fault.

Its not all about equipment, its the bees you keep. If you have to wear a suit of armour to inspect your bees then you need to question what you are keeping. I often look in the top of the super with no protective equipment at all.

I never wear gloves, why would I want to keep bees you had to wear gloves for. As Millet says, how do you get stung so much ? are you keeping bees or wasps ?

Cheers, Mick.

Latest posts

Back