It didn't end up as I intended!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well, today my neighbour got stung by the hive with attitude. So I planned meticulously what I was going to do. I was going to kill the queen and combine with a nice hive. Both hives had two supers. Supers for nice hive went on another hive over paper. That sorted that. Removed supers from bad hive and looked for queen. Found her and put her in a spring queen clip. Added newspaper, good hive, newspaper and the bad hive supers! With me so far. I was really happy it went so well. Went to pick up queen clip and guess what? It hadn't closed properly due to a bee caught in the spring. NO QEEN...,ahhhhh
Watched the entrance for a while no queen arrived but loads of fanning so dismantled the lot and searched for her again. Bare in mind these were angry bees before I started!!
By now they were really really angry! Couldn't find her so put them back together with newspaper.
So has the queen returned? The good thing is one is marked and one isn't so I am going to know which survived.
I was so chuffed it had gone so well. Such a silly mistake. I wish I had done what I laughed at yesterday and banged her on the head with my tool!!!!!
Oh well. I will update you with a final outcome in a few days when they have chewed through the newspaper and calmed down! Hopefully! Told the neighbours they are banned from their garden!!!!!
E

A number of years ago, 3 incidents. First one, I had an angry hive that covered me head to toe. Slightly upset the farmer with his dog getting stung and they had a family party. Next day opened up and shook the bees outside other hives without looking for the queen. Removed brood frames to a weak hive in another apiary. Everything calmed down, queen not allowed into any of the hives. The other apiary with with brood frames, those bees didn't show the same traits.
Second one, going through a hive looking to despatch a queen, couldn't find her after trying 3 different methods. Placed a queen excluder between brood box and floor, just incase the queen flew back. Eventually found her on the ground and despatched her. Third one used a spring cage to hold the queen, accidentally opened it and the queen dropped to the ground, I then spent 5 to 10 minutes looking for her, eventually finding and despatching. Hopefully if the bad hive is on top, the queen from the angry queen shouldn't be allowed in.

Sh1T happens ...Little beggars - I'm convinced that they know more about us than we do about them. The bee jamming the clip was probably a suicide to allow the queen to escape ! There's always another day ...

Funnily enough I thought about putting a QE under the BB but it had taken me so long to realise she wasn't still in the clip that I thought I was probably too late!
E

Funnily enough I thought about putting a QE under the BB but it had taken me so long to realise she wasn't still in the clip that I thought I was probably too late!
E

I tried this sort of thing last year and put a QE under the BB I didn't want the 'nasty' queen to re-enter, but all the bees were making such a meal of finding their way into the BB thereafter that I removed it. I was lucky though and she didn't get back in.

My update seems to have been lost during the site crash. I am pleased to announce my good queen survived. There she was! The hive was much better behaved after a week but not perfect yet!
E

I'm pleased for you, Enrico - good news.
Looks like my earlier response has been lost too!
Keep smiling.

Thanks Poot.i just tried opening a new thread, it wouldn't let me. Still a few glitches but I don't envy admin!
E

Latest posts

Back