Isolation Starvation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Just coming to the end (hopefully soon) of my second winter, I had one colony last winter and so far so good I have two now, people talking about fondant got me thinking one of my hive is still heavy and one is light so I have added some fondant so my question:

Isolation starvation am I right in thinking if the bees are clustered and choose not to move around they will starve once all the food around them has gone,, but if as we are having (well in the midlands anyway) cold evening with midish days enough for the bees to break the cluster and fly does this mean the bees that stay in the hive will move around to find food from the frames or fondant if being fed and then not starve? I suppose what I am getting at for peace of mind is if they are flying they should be feeing within the hive thus no isolation starvation.

Hope that makes sense :hairpull:

They will not forfeit brood and can sometimes find themselves unable or unwilling to move to stores. A lump of fondant above them should remove this worry.

They will not forfeit brood and can sometimes find themselves unable or unwilling to move to stores. A lump of fondant above them should remove this worry.

Cheers Steve makes sense

Back