Is this normal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like there is still enough room in the brood nest for new brood - good that they haven't been fed to choking point. If you get the balance wrong, there is always the back-up plan of feeding fondant if they get light in winter/spring.

Icing sugar wouldn't be a bad idea - you need as much as to cover as many bees as possible, administered through a seive.

I'm hoping there are plenty of adult bees - these will be needed to keep the new brood warm - HM can only lay as much as there are bees to cover/feed etc.

However you do it, it looks like you'll have to keep a close eye on this lot. Fingers crossed it all pays off.

OK, latest update. I've taken the apiguard off, and removed the entrance block to let fresh air in. Interestingly, the daily drop having fallen from 90 to 45, todays was 117- I guess due to me having shaken them off during yesterday's inspection. I sugared at the same time, so will see what that brings off in the next 48 hours, then take the floor out again.

Oh, and when I opened them up, they seemed to be feeding more eagerly- don't know if that signifies anything?

Keeping everything crossed, and hoping the stork now brings me some E, L and B.

Just a thought, re Finman's comment about queenless colonies going through winter from July- If she doesn't lay any more, will the last generation not automatically become winter bees by virtue of not having fed brood?

If there's no or very little sealed brood, is it worth considering an OA trickle now?

Latest posts

Back