Is this a sealed QC?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Rehived an overwintered Nuc last week into a full size 14x12, noticed there were a couple of play cups which I took down but had nothing in them. First inspection today (9 days later) and I found another couple of queen cups, this time one was charged but only with a small amount of royal jelly so I assume it is not very old. Kept going with my inspection and found this, which looks a bit on the small size but I assume it is a sealed QC?

null.jpg

null-1.png

Seems kind of strange - the bees have barely moved onto the 5 fully drawn frames I added and they have very little stores. There was also a noticeable increase in drone brood. I assume my only option now is an Artificial swarm ASAP?

Crazy bees

Rob

If it's charged it's an intent to swarm so pick your method not sure on small nucs assuming same rules apply.

Is it not supercedure or emergency qc. That is my first thought but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

This queen is only from Sept 2012!

Id check again tomorrow/sunday and if it has egg in it you know what todo. Hopefully they'll rip it down if she's ok .

The weather last year was awfull as i'm sure you know. I believe a large number of queens were poorly mated. That could be why you have a large number of drones and the bees are trying for a new queen.

The weather last year was awfull as i'm sure you know. I believe a large number of queens were poorly mated. That could be why you have a large number of drones and the bees are trying for a new queen.

As it's in the middle of the frame it *could* be supersedure so be very careful you dont damage it! A more experienced beekeeper hopefully will confirm this though.

If your bees were swarmy they generally have a lot of Q cells. With just the one i would say emergency or supercedure. I would leave it be and see what happens. Do you have eggs present or have you seen the Q and is the Q clipped?

I saw the queen when I transferred them into the nuc, she was in good looking shape and has filled out 6 frames in the nuc full of sealed brood. Unfortunately she is not marked so I did not see her today and tbh I am hopeless at spotting her!

Did you see HM last week when you did the move? Might she have been lost in the transfer?

It's an emergency cell by the look of it. If I saw that in mine, I'd be searching for Q and/or eggs. I'd put her in a holding nuc with a frame or two (and feed!) and wait things out. If she wasn't there, I'd leave well alone 'cos this sealed cell might be their last roll of the dice.

This queen is only from Sept 2012!

2012 was not a good year for mating though - of the two 2012 queens I had in the apiary the September one went drone layer and dissappeared, the June one........................................ went drone layer and dissappeared

My queen seems fine she filled all 6 frames in the nuc with brood.

So do you guys think I should just leave it alone and let the bees do their own thing? I really don't want to lose ANOTHER swarm :(

If it is charged then no you can't leave it you must do something.

Looks like it’s got a hole in the end of it?

I am not sure… doesn’t look big enough but drawn like an emergency cell?

It is definitely sealed but it is very small for a queen cell, the ones I had last year were huge by comparison. There is also one queen cup unsealed but charged (not pictured).

So whats the thoughts, supersedure or swarming? If I can't find the queen how do I go about doing an AS?

Hi Rob55,
Whatever the so called sealed QC with a hole in it is, pick it off and have a look. It is soo small it will not be any good anyhow. The move may have unsettled them. If she was good before the move she will be good after the move - find her or eggs. Get rid of any progressing QC and hopefully they give up with all the extra space you have given them. Probably not text book I know, but that's what I would do. Nice brood and clean comb. Come on pros where are you?

It's an emergency cell. You can easily verify this by lack of eggs and young larvae in the colony. Once verified leave it alone unless you can get hold of a mated queen as a better alternative. A scrub queen is better than no queen.

(On the other hand, in the unlikely event you do find eggs, then knock off any queen cells. There's not much point splitting a 6 frame nuc).

Last edited:
It's an emergency cell. You can easily verify this by lack of eggs and young larvae in the colony. Once verified leave it alone unless you can get hold of a mated queen as a better alternative. A scrub queen is better than no queen.

(On the other hand, in the unlikely event you do find eggs, then knock off any queen cells. There's not much point splitting a 6 frame nuc).

Thanks Chris.

I am glad Chris has said emergency cell and his advice is good (not that I am qualified to judge him)

I hope it produces a queen that will give you time and she may just turn out to be a great queen. But when I looked at the photo earlier today I thought it looked like a last minute desperation cell. I don’t know if you shook bees of the frame but I would have been more happy if the bees were showing interest in the cell. If you can get hold of a frame with eggs from another hive it may be worth seeing what the bees do with it.

Latest posts

Back