Is there still a shortage of bees this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
. Are there still issues with poly as far as toxins are concerned?. Read somewhere on the internet that it causes cancer in animals.

So does distilled water if injected into lab mice sub-cutaneously !

Most of the hogwash about toxins in polystyrene was from memory to do with drinks from Styrofoam cups filled with an already toxic brew of lemon tea that had never had a lemon or tea leaf anywhere near it !!!

Is that this global warming the BBC keep rattling on about then?

I don't know, but there certainly seems to be a fundamental change in weather patterns over the entire globe ... and the reduction of size of the ice in the polar ice caps is incontrivertible. It may be make your own mind up time ... but mine's made up.

Are there still issues with poly as far as toxins are concerned?.

Cedar is used as an insect repellent, cedar is also carcinogenic, but it doesn't seem to bother honey bees.

The bees cover the whole of the inside of a poly hive with a thin layer of propolis, I'm assuming they do the same with wooden hives. So the bees don't actually come into direct contact with the hive, whatever it's made of - unless they decide to eat it.

I overwintered one wooden hive

very scientific.

after winter in my hives colony may be 2 boxes full of bees or only handfull.
It does not have much to do with hive material.
Colony only spends 50% more winter food in uninsulated hive.

Then brooding start debends on pollen supply. If you feed patty, it rules the early build up. Unless the colony has nosema or it is under 5 frames size.

Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
. Are there still issues with poly as far as toxins are concerned?. Read somewhere on the internet that it causes cancer in animals.

So does distilled water if injected into lab mice sub-cutaneously !

Most of the hogwash about toxins in polystyrene was from memory to do with drinks from Styrofoam cups filled with an already toxic brew of lemon tea that had never had a lemon or tea leaf anywhere near it !!!

Likewise milk, yoghurt, alcohol and vitamin A

very scientific.

after winter in my hives colony may be 2 boxes full of bees or only handfull.
It does not have much to do with hive material.
Colony only spends 50% more winter food in uninsulated hive.

Then brooding start debends on pollen supply. If you feed patty, it rules the early build up. Unless the colony has nosema or it is under 5 frames size.

Observation. Not science.

That's an offer I would bite your hand off for ... but as my very well insulated hive is now occupied and the next even more well insulated but much lighter hive is still in the planning stage the best I could offer them is a double skinned timber nuc with a heavily insulated roof.

I've got room for a second hive in the garden and time later in the summer for the construction phase so if you really need to lose a colony to a good home then I'm available !

I think it's a reasonable request ... Responsible breeders sell dogs on the basis that they are going to a suitable home ... can't see the difference ?
See PM

Back