Is size important?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Having raised 15 queens which are now mated, I have noticed that some are not as 'plump' as others. They all seem to be laying well and covering the brood frames as they should. Is it a case that the slimmer queens will fail and should I cut my losses now or should I let them continue and see how they fare or be superceded?
S

What race of bee Stiffy,,, I have noticed that the Carniolians seem to be a lot fatter than the New Zealands ( of Itialian stock from 200 or so years ago?) I have.
Possibly the Marmite I put on their morning toast ???

No.

I have seem massive colonys headed by tiny queens and pathetic ones headed by giants.

It makes no odds at all.

PH

It makes no odds at all.

I do believe the odds are stacked against small queens PH may well be right in what he says:

I have seem massive colonys headed by tiny queens and pathetic ones headed by giants.

But a few exceptions do not break down a general rule in beekeeping.

Same as 3 feet, 3 mile rule.

Same as having very much greater risk losing a swarm as soon as the first queen cell is capped

Same as 'only 4 weeks for a queen to mate'

There are very good generalisations and this is one of them.

A small queen, however good she might be at laying, is a right pain if it can get through a Q/E - so there may be other factors which change those odds a bit more.

The differences (particularly close around the mode) are never that big for the average results.

RAB

Many thanks for response .
I was a little surprised at the differences in size but as I said they are all laying well and I will wait to see how they get on and report back.
My next batch went into starter colony yesterday, it will be interesting to see if they also vary in size.
S

Many thanks for response .
I was a little surprised at the differences in size but as I said they are all laying well and I will wait to see how they get on and report back.
My next batch went into starter colony yesterday, it will be interesting to see if they also vary in size.
S

Thorax size is the most important thing - that is what lets them through the QE. I'd generally prefer bigger ones if we assume no disease (theoretically) but not enough stocks to have done a study....does it not stand to reason that there are more ovarioles in a bigger abdomen (which is mostly what is in a laying queen's abdomen). I expect there are studies somewhere....

Just a minute.

I said nothing about small enough to go through the excluder.

There is small and tiny. I was talking about small.

PH

Latest posts

Back