Is it worth trying to save the natural comb bees make

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejag

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
so far i have collected two swarms. While i was sorting out their new hive to put them in they have started to build natural comb on the roof of the boxes I was storing them in. Is it worth trying to put these combs in an empty frame. So far trying as soon as i cut the comb away from the roof it falls as is so fine it collapses in my hand. I know people say you can tie it to the frame and they will build it in. But so far I have not had much success. Is it worth persisting to do it and if so can someone explain what i may be doing wrong?

IMHO it's only worth saving if they've laid brood in - in which case they'd be more robust and allow you to handle them and tie them to frames

I would say it is not worth keeping in the hive.

That wax is, however, ideal for making candles/lip balm/polish etc.

You will always get some brace comb, when you do, keep it and when you have a batch, render it down - if you dont want to totally waste their efforts :)

If there is no brood then you could give it back to the bees they will recycle it

thanks for the advice. I now know how to move on

Thanks

save every scrap of wax and use it either for cosmetics or candles or to get foundation. We save every last bit.

Baggy

Latest posts

Back