Is it worth my while starting beekeeping?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so go ahead keep them in your living room for all I care!

There is an idea... an observation hive.....................
Think I will stick to me fishtank !!!

Slightly off topic, my apologies, but ...

To say TBHs cannot be moved simply isn't true. To say they are a problem moving through a terraced house also isn't true. Certainly no harder than carrying a brood box full of bees around.

The top bars cw comb and bees can always be transferred into a box separate from the hive. The hive dismantled and then moved. Also because the hives are easy/cheap to build just make another one and transfer the bars cw comb and bees (via a sealed box) from one hive to another. Also this second method can be used to mop up any stragglers that may go back to the old hive location.

To suggest that they are somehow harder/impossible to move simply isn't the case.

Bobster

Bobster, my mates 4ft TBh takes 2 folk to lift,even when empty! whereas I can shift a square hive on my own.
so, moving a TBH is harder!!
is yours made of Balsa?? LOL

from what you are describing I to would suggest it is a non starter.

what you possibly do not recognize is that if a colony turns nasty and begins to rampage everything for several hundred yards can be stung. Not funny at all I can assure you from experience.

If you are serious about beekeping then I have two suggestions for you.

The first is to find a mentor with in your assoc and spend next year helping out and finding out at the same time whether bees are really for you, theory is of course essential but does not prepare you for the reality of an open hive.

The 2nd is to think about an out apiary which is what I use myself.

There are many ways to keep bees but first and foremost is to bear in mind bees can be lethal to livestock and humans. Just a point to ponder.

The other side of that coin though is that beekeeping can and does open many doors that otherwise you will never encounter.

I can honestly say it has vastly enriched my life.

PH

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You NEED a mentor who will give you hands on experience over a number of weeks.
On the allotment site where our bees are kept, several of the members have expressed an interest in bee-keeping. I have suited them up taken them to the hive, one got within 3 feet of the hive and ran off, one lasted 5 minutes before giving up. Worst seems to be about the 4th or 5th time they have to inspect the hive, one full on panic attack and 2 up chucked in beek suit. I have a couple of regular helpers but they are now just happy to help.

I am not being negative but you need to know you can work with bees before you waste vast amounts of cash.

Silly question but do you have access to your back garden other than through your house? If no, then it is a total non starter.

A single hive is also a non starter.
2 hives worth of fully loaded bees returning on mass in the middle of summer is a sight and also a sound to behold in a small area, add bar-b-q smoke from a neighbours garden...........:eek::willy_nilly:

Good luck anyway
Angus

Drew, In my first year about ten, but things were different then and I was teaching myself. I also had my hives in my back garden! I moved them to an out apiary and no problems from then on. I have them back in my garden now but that is three acres in the country!! This year only one real problem day when the inspector did his inspection! (Typical!)
All I am trying to say is that you can't control what bees do, but other people (neighbours) don't understand that. To them they are your bees and they have stung their dog or child or harassed them when they were just sitting in their garden and it can cause problems. Yes I have come across as negative, you're right, That's not what I am as a person so I apologise.
All I can say is Suck it and see!

Thats probably where you went wrong Enrico. Never suck a bee.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You NEED a mentor who will give you hands on experience over a number of weeks.
On the allotment site where our bees are kept, several of the members have expressed an interest in bee-keeping. I have suited them up taken them to the hive, one got within 3 feet of the hive and ran off, one lasted 5 minutes before giving up. Worst seems to be about the 4th or 5th time they have to inspect the hive, one full on panic attack and 2 up chucked in beek suit. I have a couple of regular helpers but they are now just happy to help.

I am not being negative but you need to know you can work with bees before you waste vast amounts of cash.

Silly question but do you have access to your back garden other than through your house? If no, then it is a total non starter.

2 hives worth of fully loaded bees returning on mass in the middle of summer is a sight and also a sound to behold in a small area, add bar-b-q smoke from a neighbours garden...........:eek::willy_nilly:

Good luck anyway
Angus

I agree that a mentor is essential so you can get proper experience before acquiring your bees, but I don't believe a single hive is a 'non starter'. I have one hive from choice - I don't want to have 2 as there are going to be periods when you'll be looking after 3/4 hives, even though you recombine at the end of summer. There are obviously advantages to having 2, but if you have a good support network nearby it's not essential.

There is a lot of alarmism about garden beekeeping on this forum. You do have to be careful and alert to any problems, but I think you tend to be more aware of what's happening with your bees as you are observing them most days, unlike those in out apiaries.

Yes, have a back up plan.

Even the nicest of bees can turn to bees from hell, for whatever reason.

The opposite happened to me. My old bee buddy wanted to kepp bees in his garden. In that particular setup, in my opinion it was not advisable. However he wanted to do it, so I helped him set up with some gentle bees, and told him that was the limit of my input.

About two months later he asked me to have a look as they were getting so out of hand he was frightened to open them. As soon as I opened the hive thye were up in my face and on the attack ( despite good conditions and preparation), and so because of my opinion as to site I closed them up. He asked me to move them to our out apiary, which I did.

Inspecting them there was not a problem but they were still bees from hell. Over the next month or so they settled. Still not the best bees I have kept but totally acceptable.

I'm sure that it would be possible to manage even if the only access was through the house. Not ideal, but not utterly impossible.

Similarly, one hive is far from ideal and does require a strong local support network.
But it isn't a non-starter. Its just not easily sustainable, which is most important for a beginner.

My understanding of the term "mentor" is a guide/tutor/listener with more experience - to be available after you have your own bees, and need someone to look and see or just to ask questions that might prompt you.
Definitely good to have!

But, as I suggested early on in this thread, well before that stage, it would be great to find someone needing a "helper" (or two), so that you can get some real hands-on experience before you commit to having bees of your own.
Even though there shouldn't be 'hands on bees' stuff to be done for a few months, your local association(s) should be excellent places to discover some local, friendly folk who'd like to help you meet some real bees in the Spring.
Just remember that you don't have to believe absolutely everything that any one person says. Try and spread your net wide!

I kept mine in my garden for 10 years before feeling obliged to move them out. Should have done it sooner. Of the various beginners I've known in the last few years most started in their gardens and more than half moved them out within a year after causing anxiety or stings to neighbours and family members. Those with their bees still in their gardens have unusually secluded spots for them, and tolerant spouses and families.

Best plan to keep them elsewhere, unless you have a huge garden with suitable areas well away from neighbours and also family members who may not enjoy being occasionally harried and stung.

As others have said, 51 weeks of the year they may be fine. Iain is a wise old owl, if he was the one giving you the tuition.

And 52 weeks of the year they may be fine.

Treveor and Fiona. Why don't you find out who your local Wild Life Trust is and approach them with a view to putting a hive or hives on land they own or rent for wildlife? I do this where I am and am about to put four or five new hives and bees out on an area from next Aprilish time. There just might be an area close to you so you can do your bee keeping:)

John

You're lucky poggle - my local wildlife Trust told me honey bees are not wildlife and they only want 'natural' bees on their land.

I dont think I have any special treatment but I do work for a Wildlife Trust and can keep as many hives on their land as I wish. I would certainly approach your local Trust and ask the reserves manager.
Cheers
S

You're lucky poggle - my local wildlife Trust told me honey bees are not wildlife and they only want 'natural' bees on their land.

I won't answer on the grounds that I will incriminate myself but, yeah .....right!!!

from what you are describing I to would suggest it is a non starter.

what you possibly do not recognize is that if a colony turns nasty and begins to rampage everything for several hundred yards can be stung. Not funny at all I can assure you from experience.

If you are serious about beekeping then I have two suggestions for you.

The first is to find a mentor with in your assoc and spend next year helping out and finding out at the same time whether bees are really for you, theory is of course essential but does not prepare you for the reality of an open hive.

The 2nd is to think about an out apiary which is what I use myself.

There are many ways to keep bees but first and foremost is to bear in mind bees can be lethal to livestock and humans. Just a point to ponder.

The other side of that coin though is that beekeeping can and does open many doors that otherwise you will never encounter.

I can honestly say it has vastly enriched my life.

PH

Best advice ever. Up to and including the last line.

To reply to Trevor and Fiona's OP:

Bees. Inexperience. Neighbours. Population density. Go figure...

As I have said before, I kept bees originally in my garden. Up until the moment of panic when a colony became more than a little disgruntled. Thankfully, I was able to close them up and ship them out before they set upon anybody (I have a reasonably large garden).

I keep bees in this garden again, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

It will remain your call, as it's fairly obvious that the jury will remain 'out' on this contentious issue. Be warned though that your learning curve may steepen dramatically, if you take on 'challenging' bees.

By the way, I take it that the buildings immediately opposite you are those of a primary school?

Latest posts

Back