Is it worth catching a cast?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otleybee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had a report of a cast in a tree about 150 metres away. I will have a look tonight and if they are still there see if I can get them. My question is really what do I do with them. Put them in a nuc or combine with a hive that is building up?

It depends on how small it is, but in theory, pretty much any size will eventually make good....especially at this time of year. What have you got to lose?

I put a cast in a BB late last year, ignored them, thought they wouldn't make it but they're now on 8 frames of brood... well worth it!

i had a very small caste last year, but gave them a chance. they are now by far my biggest colony

Just been to check them out and they are masonry bees. Cant fault Joe public for not knowing the difference.

Thanks again.

IF you do get a cast, with of course a virgin queen in there, give it a frame of sealed brood. These can be looked after by the bees in the colony and young bees will emerge in good time to act as nurse bees to speed the colony along once the queen does start to lay. I did this last year with a cast I got from a compost bin and it worked a treat.

Any free bees is good bees IMO.:coolgleamA:

And at this time of year, plenty of time to build up with a chance of some honey from the July flow.

Swarms in April and May = very worthwhile.

I had a cast at the beginning of June one year and at the end of the summer it gave me two supers of honey, it does pay to look after them.

Latest posts

Back