Is it too late for syrup feeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello. One 14x12 hive since July 1st. Built up well and about two weeks ago I fed the bees, who already had stores, with a 12.5kg container of syrup. All good and I expected the ivy to come along and top them up. Ivy still isn’t out yet and the weather in Scotland has been wet and windy. Tonight I hefted the hive and could tilt it from the back with two fingers. My feeling is that’s too light. Perhaps too cold for extra feeding with syrup? I have 12.5kg of fondant but perhaps it’s too early for this? Can I have the benefit of your experience please? Thanks a lot.

no it's not too late

best feed a very thick syrup though or invert and feed until they take no more

if you're worried your bees are light on stores make sure you have candy ready for later in the year

regards

S

No, not too late, we only started winter syrup feeding here yesterday... and will be feeding all through October, sometimes into early November.

This is down in the south west, but there are also keepers who feed during the same time frame in Scotland.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it's not an exact science but it did feel very light and better to be safe an err on the side of caution. I thought 12.5 kg of syrup added to another 12.5 kg of fondant in a couple of months would be enough but this is my first year. I have a clear crown board and it was teeming with them on the top bars and they were in the feeder before i could get the syrup in. Lol. All well. I'll keep feeding 2:1 until they stop taking it. Lesson learned. Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it's not an exact science but it did feel very light and better to be safe an err on the side of caution. I thought 12.5 kg of syrup added to another 12.5 kg of fondant in a couple of months would be enough but this is my first year. I have a clear crown board and it was teeming with them on the top bars and they were in the feeder before i could get the syrup in. Lol. All well. I'll keep feeding 2:1 until they stop taking it. Lesson learned. Thanks again

Wet and windy is right for me as well. I am still feeding heavy syrup(thymolized now) and plan to do so until the temperature drops further or until they stop taking it. I have put a small amount (2-3Kg) of fondant on as well in case we get prolonged wet and wind. Today was very windy but dry and around 14 degrees, they were out and about when I topped up syrup at 3.30pm.

If you have a lot of Ivy or Balsam in your area you may not need to feed.

Wet and windy is right for me as well. I am still feeding heavy syrup(thymolized now) and plan to do so until the temperature drops further or until they stop taking it. I have put a small amount (2-3Kg) of fondant on as well in case we get prolonged wet and wind. Today was very windy but dry and around 14 degrees, they were out and about when I topped up syrup at 3.30pm.
I am also feeding thymol 2-1 syrup but seem to read different does of Manley strength. I make up 13.5 litres of syrup solution from 12k sugar (6x2k bags) 6 litres water and add one tea spoon of (5ml) thymol solution (mix of crystals, isopropyl alcohol and lecithin) . Do others who feed thymol syrup do it very differently or with different strengths?

For hobby beeks it is not so much how much you feed for winter as it depends on what they do with the feed. Some put it all into brood and may end up starving.

Latest posts

Back