Is it too late for swarms?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I took off my honey a few weeks ago, also took off the queen excluder but left the super in place. (My intention was to swop the brood box and super over for the winter - but as the boxes were heavy I decided to leave until I had help) masses of activity around the hive today and had a quick look. In the super there is plenty of capped honey but also lots of new brood. Did not inspect the brood box. Question 1. Do you think there is a chance of swarming - weather here quite mild but wet and windy most of the time. Question 2, bearing in mind there are lots of new bees and it will turn much colder soon, should I start to feed or leave for a while.
My gut feeling is to leave them alone - more experienced heads may have other ideas.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

There is brood in the super because the bees have moved up where it’s warmer. If both boxes are heavy with stores then leave them be till spring. The point of putting supers of stores underneath the brood box is to get the bees to move them into the brood box. The only time I do it is after harvest with uncapped frames. The bees have organised their winter nest the way they want it. Don’t give them more work to do just when they need to be left in peace. Your instincts are spot on.

Feeding is a matter of experience telling you if the hive is heavy enough to get through winter. A brood box full of honey should be sufficient so on brood and a half as long as most of the frames have food you will be fine. The whole thing should feel REALLY heavy when you lift the back end ( hefting) try a coupl of hooks in the floor, a chain across and luggage scales. You can measure it each week and this will give you experience on how the weight changes for next year. Keep some fondant to hand just in case spring is cold and wet.
There are no hard and fast rules for feeding as food stores being used depends on the weather and insulation etc. It is something you will have to learn to judge for yourself. Good luck
E

I agree with your instincts

However, it is not too late to swarm. My latest caught swarm was October 28th.
I am also getting twitchy looking at the 20°C temperatures forecast for the weekend.

Most of mine are not fed, and the majority are chok-a-blok with stores.

I would have been quite happy to have had this weather in August!

Latest posts

Back