Is it time for a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just had a quick look through the quilt at one of my hives. I've overwintered on brood and a half. The super is full of capped stores and I appear to have 8-9 frames of bees. They've started to build wax on the quilt. Is it time for a super?

I've got black thorn, gorse, jasmine and flowering raspberry all in close range. Alll good for a bit of nectar.

SteveJ

How many frames of brood do you have?

That is the question, never mind how big it looks in the sun.

(I super on 8 big frames of brood thickly covered in bees)

If your box is that good this early I would love a frame of eggs off you to breed from.

PH

Not planning on an inspection till end of month. So no idea how much brood.

My question is :What is the stores in the super?

If sugar honey, you could remove some and use them later for other purposes, replacing with foundation or drawn comb. Look to change it all if they go to it.

If it is 'proppa' honey, that would be another matter.

They may also need a second brood chamber, too.

Plenty of options. Not sure whether you wintered on a brood and a super or if you intend to run on a brood and a half. Subtle difference, but make sure they have enough space whatever your system is.

You can't really do a lot until you inspect sufficiently to assess their needs. I inspect according to conditions, not by the date.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back