Is it the weather, end of flow, or just me?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
A question about my bees.

My three hives have new queens, and were laying eggs within approx two weeks of each other.

Today all three hives were a bit chippy. More so than usual, ie I received about 3 stings and my boyfriend received 2. Therefore I am curious to know which of the following it is likely to be:

1. The new queens are just generally grumpy (there is a new Bkeep in the village, and wondered whether that has had an impact of genetics - what are the odds that all three new queens have been impacted in the same way?)

2. Is it the fact the the OSR really came to an end last weekend, and there is less food around for them

3. Is it the weather (my preferred option)? Though it was warm it was a little breezy, and it was humid (though in the past they have not responded in this way to similar weather conditions)

4. Is this pretty standard for some hives, and I have just had very calm bees in the past?

The bees pinged more, followed further and for longer (followed us to the shed - 60feet away, and stayed for around 10 mins).

If I had a hive that was not 'new' then this would have helped me gauge the above possibilities a little more. Therefore I am curious what the 'experts' think.

Ps all hives have enough food.

Thanks in advance

Sally

All but one of mine (the fullest) were a bit flighty on Friday, buzzing and hanging around the veil. We had a mammoth storm that night.

Ever heard of the June gap? We are just entering it!
They are bored and the weather doesn't help
E

A question about my bees.

My three hives have new queens, and were laying eggs within approx two weeks of each other.

Today all three hives were a bit chippy. More so than usual, ie I received about 3 stings and my boyfriend received 2. Therefore I am curious to know which of the following it is likely to be:

1. The new queens are just generally grumpy (there is a new Bkeep in the village, and wondered whether that has had an impact of genetics - what are the odds that all three new queens have been impacted in the same way?)

2. Is it the fact the the OSR really came to an end last weekend, and there is less food around for them

3. Is it the weather (my preferred option)? Though it was warm it was a little breezy, and it was humid (though in the past they have not responded in this way to similar weather conditions)

4. Is this pretty standard for some hives, and I have just had very calm bees in the past?

The bees pinged more, followed further and for longer (followed us to the shed - 60feet away, and stayed for around 10 mins).

If I had a hive that was not 'new' then this would have helped me gauge the above possibilities a little more. Therefore I am curious what the 'experts' think.

Ps all hives have enough food.

Thanks in advance

Sally

Could be any or a combination!

What was the weather like during / after the inspection?

I inspected several colonies yesterday. The colony that I am considering re-queening behaved like puppies! A colony that is normally fine stung me and then a rain shower came along.

Could be any or a combination!

Indeed.
With any joy things will go back to normal once the weather clears a bit and the bramble comes out properly.
You dont actually have any pressing reason to do full inspections if you know the queens are newly mated and laying properly, the hives have enough food to tide them over and enough space to put some nectar if a summer flow kicks on.

Indeed.
With any joy things will go back to normal once the weather clears a bit and the bramble comes out properly.
You dont actually have any pressing reason to do full inspections if you know the queens are newly mated and laying properly, the hives have enough food to tide them over and enough space to put some nectar if a summer flow kicks on.
:iagree:
The fullest hive was my only concern, cups but not charged, BIAS and queen seen while closing up. Heaving with bees but thankfully very well behaved, added a fourth super for space. The others were a case of checking whether they needed supers and nearly all were displeased at the intrusion.

Ever heard of the June gap? We are just entering it!
They are bored and the weather doesn't help
E

will be interesting to see if the June gap happens. I think it has only happened once or twice in my 5 years of beekeeping (in my area, at least!)

Apparently many plants are 6 weeks ahead this year, and we certainly have a good mix of spring and summer plants in bloom at the moment.

Went through my hives this afternoon - the brood boxes are on WW2 rations: almost empty of nectar, let alone anything in the first Supers.

I don't think we are getting a June gap here what with clover, blackberry, lime and a few HB starting to flower.

will be interesting to see if the June gap happens. I think it has only happened once or twice in my 5 years of beekeeping (in my area, at least!)

Apparently many plants are 6 weeks ahead this year, and we certainly have a good mix of spring and summer plants in bloom at the moment.

Very much like that on the Costa del Fareham ... girls bringing in loads of different coloured pollen and the combs are filling up with honey so I'm not seeing a June Gap yet. Lots of summer plants in flower and the Lime trees are only days away from the looks of things ..

I moved a couple of frames of stores from my main hive into my two smaller colonies as a precaution as the queens in there are still only a couple of weeks into laying. These colonies are only just building up and they are also building new comb... but I'm not sure that they really needed them ... just making sure.

Hello Sally - I wish I knew too. Tried to open one hive on Sunday to see if I needed to divide them/give them more space/see if they had stores but was simply sent packing, in no uncertain terms! (Not like them.) Weather? Hungry? (I think there is not much food out there at the moment.) Something else? Not sure whether to leave well alone (has often proved the best course) until the local lime tree comes out, or the weather changes, and I have time to look at them properly... Or to feed. Suspect feeding would be a mistake and I should just hold on...

I'm hoping that there is no June gap this year... my No. 1 hive is stuffed with brood that is just preparing to go mental and bring in a huge crop. (Well, here's hoping.)

my No. 1 hive is stuffed with brood that is just preparing to go mental and bring in a huge crop. (Well, here's hoping.)

You will be hoping, but forlornly.

When do you think this current brood will become foragers? Not this month, that is fairly certain! Read up on the life stages of worker bees.

Latest posts

Back