Is it normal practise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redwood what pub was it ?

Mark s is right about some of them with regards
to where bees come from. They also got a lotto grant not long ago.
But there is the odd bad apple for sure.
Another association, hmmm dare I :D
I don't know what pub it was, I remember going there as a kid, I will ask my dad next time I see him.
Go on start your own association and I bet you will get a lot of new beekeepers coming your way

Before the season started we got an email from a member saying that any splits from his hives this year would be free to anyone wanting bees.

Our beginners course was 10 weeks at 2hrs and was 60 or 70 quid.

And don't get me started about the proliferation of swarmy bees.

Baggy

Before the season started we got an email from a member saying that any splits from his hives this year would be free to anyone wanting bees.

Our beginners course was 10 weeks at 2hrs and was 60 or 70 quid.

And don't get me started about the proliferation of swarmy bees.

Baggy

That's more like it.

'Came over on the last ferry', eh? Like that one.;)

No, have to say I've had lots of help, advice, support, bees and friendship from IWBKA members, at little or no cost, and will be happy to see this ethos continued and will try to do my bit in turn with similar generosity.

What I'm not happy about is seeing this issue arise in public bringing into doubt the goodwill of the members, and making the Association (or at least it's teaching arm) look unhelpful or greedy, because all of us, including those who have little or nothing to do with it, are shamed by that, when a good teaching apiary is something that as an association we should be proud of.

Personally I think the sale of bees to beginners needs to be clarified and maybe changed before ill feeling builds further and members start to walk, because that would be unhelpful to all. If money is the issue, my preference would be to see membership charges raised slightly and bees still be given to genuine beginners, at zero or actual cost. However when everyone I know is giving their time for free I can't see the need.

Easy Beesy said:
we collect, hive, treat, re-queen, and make sure there is brood in all stages before selling on to members on waiting list. I've known 'beekeepers' take nuc from association for £50 and sell it on immediately for £150 - that's not right either!
Giving away bees for free or 'token' costs is only going to encourage more of ...

a) Those with a fleeting interest.

b) The unscrupulous.

I'm all for paying the going rate for a quality item. Shelling bees out to any Tom, Dick or Harry who may or may not stick at it is flagrantly irresponsible. If people pay for something, they generally value it.

Wasn't 'any Tom Dick Or Harry' I was thinking of (they can go and catch their own swarm) but local individuals who had shown a clear interest over time, joined as a Friend, attended meetings/courses, and invested in all the equipment ready to go. Rather clearer then who is a nine-days wonder and who has genuine intent, surely?

I didn't question your post, I quoted Easy Beesy. I agree with you, they can catch their own far better that than under valuing the bees.
Should we also sell our honey for 50p a pound? The only value most people understand is monitary. We've seen plenty of new beeks at our beginners sessions, numbers drop during practicals and when informed about bees there are plenty who "don't want them right at this moment." Call me cynical but I wonder if the answer would be different if they found out the bees were free.

What i was hoping for on this thread was to see what the General pricing was / is.
I think the IOW prices are too steep for a association and the cost for a 2 day course
that someone went on that i know is a dam rip off!

Bees for free!

I think that the promotion of bee keeping is the most important thing that any bee keeper can do its not about money its about a gift that bees give us.

Latest posts

Back