Is it good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luck

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
I notice that during / following "treatments" recently some people have colonies that are brood-less or have queens that have stopped laying.

Given this isn't a natural or normal state of affairs for this time of year is this good? I'd be very concerned if any of my colonies were in this state of affairs at this important point in the season.

Chris

I can't speak for the others, but I'm glad to say that all the queens in our apiary which has 11 colonies on apiguard are still laying. And I think when there were only 3 last autumn they didn't stop either.

I notice that during / following "treatments" recently some people have colonies that are brood-less or have queens that have stopped laying.

Given this isn't a natural or normal state of affairs for this time of year is this good? I'd be very concerned if any of my colonies were in this state of affairs at this important point in the season.

Chris

Interesting - I have two colonies that were broodless last week BEFORE the treatment started. I am concerned, but gathered some hope from here that it's not completely uncommon. Are you saying that's not the case?

I have started treatment, and feed. I will see next week whether the feed has brought them back into lay.

When taking colonies back from the heather it was certainly near the norm in my experience for them to be broodless.

A good feed of syrup and the giving of space in the brood box soon had them laying again.

PH

remember - lack of brood means bees won't age so unlikely detrimental to overall winter bee pool won't be affected. and queen stays sprightly.

as PH says - give space and a boost and off they go again.

a big problem is late brood block varroa control. queen lays (depletes sperm reserves) and the new brood is raised but removed every week.

SO house bees age but are not replaced. BAD.

also lack of brood means nowhere for mites to hide (could consider reduced treatment duration).

Last edited:
Back