Is Hive Beetle in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole lynch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Do we have to worry about Hive Beetles here in the UK. Are they present?
Thanks

No. Thank heavens
I’m just trying to develope my IPM and as a newbie just wanted to ascertain what I’m dealing with
Varroa
Wax moth
Tracheal mites
DWV
Nosema
Wasps & Hornets
Mice
Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
Maybe.
Melittology isn't so complicated that it requires a degree, the cause of the problems are the solutions proffered by you and me.
They repair the smallest break, remove dirt and debris, rebuild and relocate.
Dwellings impeccably crafted, heating and cooling timed well with the seasons,
no shopping in marmoreal halls for hours, or going too far in pursuit of a botanical source.
They are comforted by their efforts to keep, their home well stocked, replete and
mobilised in seconds armed security will, meet all intrusions with a stinging pill.
Accomplished navigationalists and communications experts, their social structure provides a living incubator, for the regeneration of life.
And could it be that we, the species known by one name only are in fact, in short a perilous and notifiable pest.

Eloquent, but I'm only a beekeeper, and agree with the sentiment that I am the biggest pest my bees face. To a beginner I would say the most important thing is to only open a hive for a good reason. Curiosity is not a reason but was a motivator in my early days, I admit.

Eloquent, but I'm only a beekeeper, and agree with the sentiment that I am the biggest pest my bees face. To a beginner I would say the most important thing is to only open a hive for a good reason. Curiosity is not a reason but was a motivator in my early days, I admit.

Beat me to it ... I was going to add the Beekeeper as the biggest problem !

Tracheal mites are not that common these days.

No. Thank heavens
I’m just trying to develope my IPM and as a newbie just wanted to ascertain what I’m dealing with
Varroa
Wax moth
Tracheal mites
DWV
Nosema
Wasps & Hornets
Mice
Have I missed anything?

Do not forget two legged rats.

Maybe.
Melittology isn't so complicated that it requires a degree, the cause of the problems are the solutions proffered by you and me.
They repair the smallest break, remove dirt and debris, rebuild and relocate.
Dwellings impeccably crafted, heating and cooling timed well with the seasons,
no shopping in marmoreal halls for hours, or going too far in pursuit of a botanical source.
They are comforted by their efforts to keep, their home well stocked, replete and
mobilised in seconds armed security will, meet all intrusions with a stinging pill.
Accomplished navigationalists and communications experts, their social structure provides a living incubator, for the regeneration of life.
And could it be that we, the species known by one name only are in fact, in short a perilous and notifiable pest.

Indeed.

As a beginner, you should also read up on and make sure you can recognise European foulbrood, American foulbrood, sacbrood, chalkbrood, CBPV (chronic bee paralysis virus).

If possible try to attend a Bee Health day, often run by Bee inspectors in cooperation with local BKAs.

Also Asian hornets, laying workers, drone laying queens

Latest posts

Back