Introducing new queen to existing Q+ hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, I intend to give two of my hives new bought mated queens as soon the queens come available. My idea is to give my 6 hives a new queen every year.
I will have to kill or make use of the existing queens so I would like to know, when l get rid of the old queen, how long do l wait until l introduce the new queen. The general idea is to have better swarm control.

I would wait a couple of hours then introduce in a cage. Check in 24hrs if released

I followed the advice given by Ged Marshall of leaving it 24hrs. Works for me, so far. I am sure there will be many more views along shortly.

By the way it won't stop swarming, if everything else is right it will reduce the risk.

As well as the traditional caged method there is another type of cage that is quite large and is pressed onto a frame in the hive that contains emerging brood. As the brood emerge they are unable to leave the cage and immediately accept the new queen. Theory is that the rest of the hive find her more acceptable with the new brood attending her. After a few days when there are plenty of emerged brood in the cage you then open the plastic flap as per the standard cage design and the bees eat away the fondant and release her.

Latest posts

Back