International Meeting of Young Beekeepers - IMYB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:icon_204-2:

If we all felt that way no new beekeepers would take up the profession

I'm just pleased 90 youngsters had a great 2 days learning. I wish I'd have gone on a similar course at that age !

KR

S

Were you commenting on JBMs response to -

Originally Posted by beeno
I was rather upset that the clip contained information about letting a nuc raise their own Q from eggs which I for one don't approve of.

Response from JBM
Oh dear - it must be wrong then

Hardly likely to affect the uptake of new young beekeepers methinks.

If your a long standing member on the forum you should have known about it as there have been threads about it in previous years asking for young beekeepers to represent the UK in other countries and adult chaperones:-

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24020

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-27991.html

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32582

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-20411.html

I would love to get some of my pupils to be able to attend in the future but I'm not sure how many years of experience they will need to enter and as we are a short stay school we may not be able to.

Were you commenting on JBMs response to -

Originally Posted by beeno
I was rather upset that the clip contained information about letting a nuc raise their own Q from eggs which I for one don't approve of.

Response from JBM
Oh dear - it must be wrong then

Hardly likely to affect the uptake of new young beekeepers methinks.

I was commenting on JBM's opinions on letting nucs raise their own Q !

KR

Somerford

I would love to get some of my pupils to be able to attend in the future but I'm not sure how many years of experience they will need to enter and as we are a short stay school we may not be able to.

Up until this year it seemed that they had only enough people to enter. This year they held heats to see who would be on the team.

I was lucky enough to go along with our club's young beekeeper and his mum to this initial heat. He was reserve for the England team. Our members were very proud of spotting him on telly on the Countryfile interview.~

He was asked to be involved in the official opening of the Bee Gallery at Gallery Oldham recently, whilst Medlock bees had a display downstairs to talk to the general public.

I think the IMYB is a brilliant event and something we should be proud of as beekeepers to have hosted.

Encouraging young people into beekeeping is something a lot of people are already doing. Via schools or just apiary sessions at bee clubs across the country, lots of young people have a go at beekeeping and learn more about honey bees.

The Countryfile article picked up on the average age of beekeepers not being young. I think there was a stat recently that most people starting are in their 50s.

There are many ways of encouraging young people into beekeeping - and we should all be doing this!
IMYB doesn't have huge reach - only a few UK children could be involved - but it is certainly something that got nationwide attention and may make a few more young people look into beekeeping.

There's a news item in the August BBKA (P262) about Ken Stevens who has been awarded a certificate for 80 years in bees. He first kept bees aged 14.

Up until this year it seemed that they had only enough people to enter. This year they held heats to see who would be on the team.

I was lucky enough to go along with our club's young beekeeper and his mum to this initial heat. He was reserve for the England team. Our members were very proud of spotting him on telly on the Countryfile interview.~

He was asked to be involved in the official opening of the Bee Gallery at Gallery Oldham recently, whilst Medlock bees had a display downstairs to talk to the general public.

I think the IMYB is a brilliant event and something we should be proud of as beekeepers to have hosted.

Encouraging young people into beekeeping is something a lot of people are already doing. Via schools or just apiary sessions at bee clubs across the country, lots of young people have a go at beekeeping and learn more about honey bees.

The Countryfile article picked up on the average age of beekeepers not being young. I think there was a stat recently that most people starting are in their 50s.

There are many ways of encouraging young people into beekeeping - and we should all be doing this!
IMYB doesn't have huge reach - only a few UK children could be involved - but it is certainly something that got nationwide attention and may make a few more young people look into beekeeping.

There's a news item in the August BBKA (P262) about Ken Stevens who has been awarded a certificate for 80 years in bees. He first kept bees aged 14.

Well done to your member.

To me it should be a priority of the BBKA, Bee-farmers, SBA and others to get youngsters involved. Even if they don't keep it up when they get a little older its not a problem but even if we get a hit rate of 1 out of 100 youngsters going on to doing something in the industry its got to be money well spent.

All BKA MUST be made to support under 16s with loan equipment and suits as we all know how expensive it is to get into. I have supported my school by loaning all the kit they use at a cost to me because I believe it is something so important and with the pupils I work with, it is something that once they are used to it, helps them control their stress levels and behaviour as we all know what happens if you don't.

Once used to it the kids love it and getting the kids in the hive at the beginning of the season when numbers are much lower really works as they don't get so much of a shock when it opens and they all come out to say hello.

It has been a real learning curve for me this season to as I have never done it with kids before and spending chilled out time with them doing the practical and then them wanting to know more giving me the way in to do the theory stuff has been so much better than the normal way of doing theory first then practical.

As the kids I work with are mostly non readers I need to come up with some theory work they can do that doesn't involve much reading or me talking (I know I am so boring).

The deputy head doesn't get the way it works though, with her its all or none. She doesn't get that there may be lots that are scared, just like she is, so that's a work in progress to lol.

Agree these things are a good idea but why do TV presenters feel the need to get a joke or pun into every second sentence? I personally thought the "presenting" for this 6 minute piece was atrocious. So I am more concerned about the waste of my TV licence fee not any contribution through the BBKA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the reasons why I took up beekeeping was that I did it as a kid with my Dad when I was 7, 8 or 9 or thereabouts and I always wanted to do it again and 10 years ago that opportunity arose. :)
(Unfortunately Dad's bees got AFB and had to be destroyed - but that's another story).
What I remembered from that time came flooding back, once I re-started.

Rather than expenditure, the event has been profitable. :) Maybe a financial risk but the outcome is a good one financially - an cost of Minus £10k.

If the profit from the event can be ploughed back into UK (young) student beekeepers, then it has been a worthwhile process - carried out mainly by volunteers of the BBKA.

Well done to all those who put in the time and effort for a positive outcome.

Getting young people into beekeeping is one of those on going challenges that will continue, I sadly feel. However saying that there are more and more opportunities. You've got the IMYB which is a fantastic experience for anyone privileged enough to get the chance to go, and hopefully with the coverage it has got this year more will be interested and try to find out about it for next year. Then there's the bee farmer apprenticeship which I'm sure has got a lot of interest in it, but I'm not sure.
But with all these opportunities there's still a lack of young people, so why? Are they feeling isolated, the fact is at an IMYB selection day was the first time I'd seen so many beekeepers my age in one place? If so could meeting around the country at county/regional level take place, or more events nationally such as something like a British meeting of young beekeepers? The cost could possibly be a major factor, also maybe for slightly older people having nowhere to house hives due to lack of garden etc be putting people of? That's a hard on to solve but maybe encouraging more involvement with branch apiaries or pairing up with other beekeepers might help. The use of social media of course can't be over looked in this day and age as a possible way to attract more young people. But a major thing is once they have been attracted and have got involved its to treat them the same and not to think just because they're young that they are irresponsible and don't have the capability to keep bees, as that can be rather off putting.
I'm not sure how we can get more young people involved but I do know it will take more than a few of us and some work. But it is possible as long as we actually pull together it is achievable.

I took up beekeeping at a Midlands secondary school aged 11 yrs where there was a flourishing beekeeping club, an apiary of 6 hives and where lessons in beekeeping were delivered by the history mistress (who later became president of Warwickshire BKA) on wednesday afternoons (which were allocated for sports and hobbies). Pupils attended lessons on saturday morning to compensate for their Wed afternoon off. Today 59 yrs later very few schools have beekeeping as one of their extra curricular activities.

I think I have met georgia b a couple of years ago at a Lincs BKA general husbandry training day

Getting young people into beekeeping is one of those on going challenges that will continue, I sadly feel. However saying that there are more and more opportunities. You've got the IMYB which is a fantastic experience for anyone privileged enough to get the chance to go, and hopefully with the coverage it has got this year more will be interested and try to find out about it for next year. Then there's the bee farmer apprenticeship which I'm sure has got a lot of interest in it, but I'm not sure.
But with all these opportunities there's still a lack of young people, so why? Are they feeling isolated, the fact is at an IMYB selection day was the first time I'd seen so many beekeepers my age in one place? If so could meeting around the country at county/regional level take place, or more events nationally such as something like a British meeting of young beekeepers? The cost could possibly be a major factor, also maybe for slightly older people having nowhere to house hives due to lack of garden etc be putting people of? That's a hard on to solve but maybe encouraging more involvement with branch apiaries or pairing up with other beekeepers might help. The use of social media of course can't be over looked in this day and age as a possible way to attract more young people. But a major thing is once they have been attracted and have got involved its to treat them the same and not to think just because they're young that they are irresponsible and don't have the capability to keep bees, as that can be rather off putting.
I'm not sure how we can get more young people involved but I do know it will take more than a few of us and some work. But it is possible as long as we actually pull together it is achievable.

You raise some interesting points. The use of social media is something which could be employed by the local beekeeping associations, especially those with a website or facebook page that can be linked to in general posting.
It might also be helpful if more associations had spare beesuits for visitors (some already do) enabling interested parties to join in sessions rather than observing through a screen.

A father and son joined my local BKA several years ago. The son was one of the then youngest to have sat FIBKA's preliminary assessment. They have now attended three if not four IMYB events with the son acting as a supervisor this year. Two more sons have now become involved in beekeeping. one of them competing in the GB event and the previous one. They are now a beekeeping family and have nothing but praise for the IMYB events. Father and sons are speaking highly of the GB event and have even noted that there was plenty laid on for the accompanying adults. Ultimately there may appear to be a small number of competitors in these events but remember, great oaks from little acorns grow.
With regard to the BBKA "correspondence" on IMYB and my views on that subject, I will just repeat the expression "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing".

Didn't read all of this thread but can anyone explain how you could compete at beekeeping. Sounds a bit strange bar getting big yields while keeping hives healthy what other measure of success is there?

Didn't read all of this thread but can anyone explain how you could compete at beekeeping. Sounds a bit strange bar getting big yields while keeping hives healthy what other measure of success is there?

It is a competition based on competence and demonstrated knowledge

It is a competition based on competence and demonstrated knowledge

and on collaboration too. I understand that the participants are allocated into international teams which adds another dimension to the learning experience.

OK, so there's a lot of feeling that getting young people into beekeeping is a good thing. Can't argue with that, support it myself. However the "anything that gets young people interested is a good thing" argument takes no account of the realities of limited time and/or funds. Put another way, was the money spent to good effect?

I asked what could have been done differently with the money, and several have come back and said "it was great and it made a profit so don't do it differently".

Does IMYB introduce young people to beekeeping? I can't see how it does, since entrants must already be reasonably skilled beekeepers, picked via competitive selection. Add to this the £925 cost per entrant, and I see an expensive three days that is great experience for the chosen few, but actually does nothing to introduce young people to beekeeping.

There is also a feeling that the TV coverage was worth its weight in gold for recruiting youngsters. I've seen the statement somewhere along the lines of "£60,000 for six minutes of prime time TV was money well spent". Well i'm sorry, I disagree - that camera crew could have spent a day with any of the numerous of the school beekeeping clubs around the country, total cost a few thousand, and would have produced a more authentic 'advert' for young people taking up beekeeping.

We then have the contrast mentioned here of beekeeping clubs/activities in schools, where all are welcome, no prior experience is assumed. Run by volunteers, on a shoe string, but wouldn't a few bee suits etc. be a great help ... This is where the money should have been spent. No prior experience necessary, no barriers to entry, the school/club provides hives and kit and finds somewhere to site the bees. Oh, and hopefully the club will still be running next week, next month, next year, and maybe more than 3 kids can come along and take part.

Think what £55,000 could have done to support these sort of activities! A school club is accessible this week, next week, next year, yet IMYB has given none of that. All that money spent on a three day event, nothing that can be re-used or experienced by others... what a wasted opportunity :hairpull:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back