Insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is 50mm 'cosy' the norm for any reason?

Both my hives have got 50mm above the crown board which I'm happy with. The site I'm on is clearing out and there is a full sheet of 80mm kingspan that Unless I have take is being dump (I know) I hate dumping stuff but if I take it I got to use it as missus thinks I've got enough crap already :icon_204-2:

So 80mm cosy? With 100mm roof?

Is 50mm 'cosy' the norm for any reason?

Both my hives have got 50mm above the crown board which I'm happy with. The site I'm on is clearing out and there is a full sheet of 80mm kingspan that Unless I have take is being dump (I know) I hate dumping stuff but if I take it I got to use it as missus thinks I've got enough crap already :icon_204-2:

So 80mm cosy? With 100mm roof?

50mm PIR on the top and sides gets you almost to same level of heat loss as a tree.(~0.5W/K) This is based on the thermal heat loss measurements i made on similar structures. Why me? I do research into this subject.
if you insulate more the surplus heat comes out the bottom.
If you insulate to this level make sure the amount of light getting inside the hive is reduced. e.g. if you have a mesh floor make sure its dark underneath the floor and the entrance is shaded.

50mm PIR on the top and sides gets you almost to same level of heat loss as a tree.(~0.5W/K) This is based on the thermal heat loss measurements i made on similar structures. Why me? I do research into this subject.
If you insulate to this level make sure the amount of light getting inside the hive is reduced. e.g. if you have a mesh floor make sure its dark underneath the floor and the entrance is shaded.

Hive is on a stand 400mm off the ground should I bring the insulation down over the stand to get it darker? Leaving space for them to get out?

Hive is on a stand 400mm off the ground should I bring the insulation down over the stand to get it darker? Leaving space for them to get out?

Thats one approach, there are many ways to achieve it.
Example: We put a Paynes poly nuc (has varroa mesh) on the edge of a board on a stand. Then put a cosy on top that almost reached down to the board, but because the nuc was close to the edge the bees could fly up into the vertical gap between the cosy and the Nuc. (the mouldings on the nuc stopped the cosy closing the gap)
This kept the bees dark and warm, yet still had a varroa mesh.

Could you please explain to a science numbskull why you need to reduce the light if the hive is more insulated :confused:

Could you please explain to a science numbskull why you need to reduce the light if the hive is more insulated :confused:
Bees are inhibited by the temperature and stimulated by light and Winterbees have a limited flying time.
However, in natural environments low thermal conductance means usually means dark. Tree nests are very dark as the entrance tunnel can be long and the bees paint the inside with light absorbing material (propolis)

Bees are inhibited by the temperature and stimulated by light and Winterbees have a limited flying time.
However, in natural environments low thermal conductance means usually means dark. Tree nests are very dark as the entrance tunnel can be long and the bees paint the inside with light absorbing material (propolis)

You have previously mentioned this combination of good insulation and light in the hive as being undesirable. Is this conclusion a result of logical thought and applied physics or is it from experimentation?

If I can be convinced of it, I might try to acquire some dark scaffold netting to act as a skirt around each 3-hive stand. This would darken the OMF and reduce air turbulence under the hive that could draw out warm air in windy periods.

CVB

You have previously mentioned this combination of good insulation and light in the hive as being undesirable. Is this conclusion a result of logical thought and applied physics or is it from experimentation?

If I can be convinced of it, I might try to acquire some dark scaffold netting to act as a skirt around each 3-hive stand. This would darken the OMF and reduce air turbulence under the hive that could draw out warm air in windy periods.

CVB
Nothing that would stand publication & review, but we have seen the hives on the darker side of the garden doing better. And we do have observations that insulated hive flying activity is driven primarily by light levels.

Last edited:
insulated hive flying activity is driven primarily by light levels.
This is the reason bees often fly out on a bright day when the ground is covered in snow even when outside temperatures are too cold for them to last more than a few seconds. The ground will often be covered in dead bees after such a bright day. This is when a microclimate becomes important. An effective windbreak plus features such as open ground in front and trees behind the hives provide a protected area that allows brief winter flights on days above 5 degrees.

Latest posts

Back