Insulating national hives??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Qualitatively, we insulated the roof space of one hive last year, and left the other as normal (both Nationals). I could see no difference whatsoever in the colonies in spring, and it was a pretty hard winter.

Location thing perhaps,i don't top insulate any of my full colonys,may do with a few this winter that i'm leaving in a very exposed spot high up on the moors.
But down in the valley i don't,and believe the bee's are better off without it,keeping them dry but cold slows down there metabolism and i believe helps them to be stronger bee's, and live longer,also using less food, being as they are almost inactive.Too warm and they are burning themselves out before there time,and could be raising brood at a time of year when it would be better of without it. If i lived up in the far north i would most likely top insulate hives to achieve the same results as i do down in the milder sw climate.
I remember reading an old bee book with pictures of an apiary in winter, one of the hives was covered with a layer of frost, the rest had a thawed out circle on each roof! Caption read" please observe the frost covered hive it's the sign of a dead colony ".

John Wilkinson

To a point, I agree. I usually only take strong colonies into winter. That is different this winter as my season ended abruptly very late September. I was going to move and unite two weaker colonies (good queens) but all four colonies will have to look after themselves. I think they will be fine but normally there would have been 2 less colonies, so less to worry about.

Those with one or two colonies do not have the reserves to do anything but try to over-winter. A hundred a fifty quid to get going again is not 'chicken feed' to everyone.

A small amount spent on insulation is a worthwhile expenditure and is going to be less than treating with apiguard, etc and feeding several kgs of sugar.

Remember, too, a lot of the new beeks have bought nucs with an imported queen, or one of little known provenance, and have no idea how they will cope with british weather conditions.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back