Inside or Out?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megadyptes

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Newbie here, so forgive the numpty question...

I've built a couple of hives and populated them with frames/foundation and they're currently sitting in the shed while finishing off the hands-on bit of the beginners course. But, they are taking up rather a lot of space, and getting the lawnmower, tools and ever expanding collection of seedlings in and out is becoming a challenge worthy of the Krypton Factor.

Is it going to cause the hives or frames an issue if I stick them out into the garden on their stands in order to free up space in the shed? I was planning on having the entrance blocked and sticking crownboard top and bottom to try and stop any critters getting (wouldn't want to have a wax moth hotel in full swing when the bees finally arrive). Does this make sense, or should I just put the floor, broodbox, crownboard and roof out and see if any wandering swarms take a liking to it?

Thanks is advance, and more questions likely to follow....

Last edited:
No harm outside...
If you leave the entrances open you might get some free bees.

:)

I've built a couple of hives and populated them with frames/foundation and they're currently sitting in the shed while finishing off the hands-on bit of the beginners course. But, they are taking up rather a lot of space, and getting the lawnmower, tools and ever expanding collection of seedlings in and out is becoming a challenge worthy of the Krypton Factor.

Is it going to cause the hives or frames an issue if I stick them out into the garden on their stands in order to free up space in the shed? I was planning on having the entrance blocked and sticking crownboard top and bottom to try and stop any critters getting (wouldn't want to have a wax moth hotel in full swing when the bees finally arrive. Does this make sense, or should I just put the floor, broodbox, crownboard and roof on broodbox out and see if any wandering swarms take a liking to it?

Thanks is advance, and more questions likely to follow....

Wax moth usually go for used comb as it's the used cocoons that attract them being made from protein. Just build the hive up as if it's going to be used and block the entrance up so mice etc. don't beat a swarm to it and leave it out where you intend to keep it. That would be my choice. hope it helps.

Dishmops just beat me to it.

Last edited:
You didn't mention putting a roof on?

sorry - must read more thoroughly.:sorry:

If you take to beekeeping, you are going to need a bigger shed..............to keep all the spare kit you will need in the future.
Cazza

If you take to beekeeping, you are going to need a bigger shed..............to keep all the spare kit you will need in the future.
Cazza

The shed is plenty big enough, its all the other rubbish in it that's the problem.

If it just contained what was needed I'd be laughing. But it's all the stuff that can't be thrown away on the off chance it might come in handy at some point that's the issue (kingsize bed frame, anyone?). :hairpull:

On the plus side, the old dining has been a convenient place to stack things...

Bought a metal shed to put mowers strimmers rotavators boat engines canoe paddles shredder chainsaws etc etc... and cider press!, now need another because that one is full... as is garage... barn... and 8 x 10 bee shed.

Yardmaster... fairly secure but a total nightmare to erect ... even on a perfectly flat concrete base!!!
SWMBO has given permission for a pole barn to store the overwintering kit under... threatened.. to take over pollytunnell

Beekeeping needs a lot of sheds.. at least one on each apiary site!

Yeghes da

My job this weekend to to remove all the unloved flower pots and other gardening junk from my mini shed before Mr W has another moan about all the beekeeping kit cluttering up the garage .......I don't know what his problem is it's mostly stacked up in the garden at the moment!

One shed is not enough. :nono:

Absolutely agree.
I have a bee room which is an annexe of husbands workshop. It has power and water which is brilliant.
I have commandeered the garden shed which my kit shares with the chicken paraphernalia.

The field shelter at the veggie plot has a couple of those big B&Q garden boxes full of my bee stuff
For my birthday husband is organising a nice big shed in the apiary, a cat-swing from the hives....wonderful........but it has taken lots of nagging.

Well, the garden's big enough for more sheds if this beekeeping malarkey takes off - remove two derelict asbestos sheds a few years ago and the hard standings are still there.

Put one of the hives out a couple of days ago and this evening noticed a handful of bees sniffing around it. Seemed to be crawling under, around and over it, but seemed oblivious to the entrance hole. Guess we'll see if they take a liking to it...

Latest posts

Back