Increase entrance size?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Hi,

I know it's way to early to increase the entrance due to lack of new bees.

Am I right in thinking when im on 4-5 brood frames (langstroth deep) open half of entrance, 8 brood's fully open.... Or if a sudden flow starts open right up (bear in mind i've not seen a flow yet so still waiting for that!). Currently it's around 2-3 inches for the build up.

Thanks

Never increase mine at all. Leave reducer in all summer.
A wild nest has a very small entrance.

Only consider enlarging the entrance when any queue turns into a scrum.

My entrances have turned into a scrum so I have removed the entrance blocks. When I put a feeder on then I reduced it back down to minimise risk of robbing (for a day or two).

There is no such rules.

I set up entrance accordance ventilating bees.

I have solid bottom and entarance is wide open only in main flow.
Then hiveas 5-6 boxes.

In spring entrance is 10 cm x 1 cm and one upper entrance 1,5 cm.

There is no such rules.

I set up entrance accordance ventilating bees.

I have solid bottom and entarance is wide open only in main flow.
Then hiveas 5-6 boxes.

In spring entrance is 10 cm x 1 cm and one upper entrance 1,5 cm.

:eek:

I never reduced entrances in normal situations, if the queen is in the hive and normal colony no need for it. I had never got robbing in my apiary for now. Also never used mouse guards on entrances. Once I opened few hives when is not proper time ( no inflow of nectar) and guard bees had full hands of job and then I reduced entrance for some short time ( approx. half or one hour) for few bees can pass.
Also many beekeepers when is such inflow in great forages ( 10 or over 10 per day inflow I think) they remove complete entrance bar. Sometimes I was tempted to do the same when acacia is here, but soon weather destroy it's flower and no more temptation.. I hope this year I can get the chance of doing it:rolleyes:

Think later in the year when wasps are around. So no, the requirements vary. Observe and act accordingly, don't just keep bees by dates, numbe of frames or whatever. It just does not work like that.

With OMF my only consideration re entrance size is to close it down help the bees defend against wasps - the rest of the time it stays at 4" x 3/8th (approx...diy with a chisel)

Think later in the year when wasps are around. So no, the requirements vary. Observe and act accordingly, don't just keep bees by dates, numbe of frames or whatever. It just does not work like that.

:iagree:
I've recently taken off the slide entrances from my WBC's, with a view to replacing them when the Asian hornets rear their ugly heads later on

Latest posts

Back